• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Marine Electric Head

ligolaiva38

Member II
Does anyone have an Electic head on their boat?
How do you like it? Which type do you recommend and why? What is better --fresh water of salt water flush? Do elecric pumps really use less water to flush than manual pumps?
I have an E-38 and have heard some good comments on using electric heads. Since I need to replace my manual head I am considering possibly a Wilcox Crittenden Newport electric head.
Any comments would be appreciated.
John

Ray Rhode

Member III
John,

Had a Jabsco conversion on Journey and liked it except for a couple of problems which the Wilcox might not share. The thing was very noisy. No flushing in the middle of the night or you would wake up the whole anchorage. The noise came from the macerator which is the best part of the thing. It also developed a leak, not a good thing, which several attempts to stop were unsuccessful. I think that I used less water per flush but never really checked. The power drain might seem high but it only runs for a couple of seconds so that is really not a factor.

I really liked the thing but got rid of it because of the two problems. You might see if you can find a Wilcox you could flush and check for noise. I don't think the leaking will be a problem since the Wilcox started out as an electric and was not a conversion like my Jabsco.

Ray Rhode
S/V Journey
E35-III, #189

chaco

Member III
Fresh Water ?

Make sure the Head will also work manually when the motor fails.
NOBODY carries enough water on board to WASTE it flushing a head :nerd:

Happy Flushing :egrin: :egrin:

vbenn

Member III
I had a Wilcox Crittenden Headmate on my last boat. Worked well for 18 yrs and I never had to rebuild it. My E-380 has a JABSCO manual head which I regret installing last summer. Just bought a LAVAC head which has an electric pump with a manual back-up (NPI). I've heard nothing but good things about LAVAC. Biggest installation challenge is where to mount the pumps.

Vince Benn
Wild Blue

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Vince, why did you regret installing the Jabsco manual--I installed one this past summer as it seemed simple, and so far it has worked fine, but I'm wondering if I should be expecting problems, given your experience. Any advice?
Frank.

vbenn

Member III
I had to replace the joker valve after 1 month of limited use. Also the plastic parts were not very robust: the discharge elbow cracked while I was bandclamping the discharge hose to it, and the seat hinge broke as I was leaning against the toilet routing the discharge hose through the locker behind it. Pump handle was always stiff until I lubed the plumbing with cooking oil or a little boatsoap. Never had these problems with the Headmate during the 15+ years I had it.

Vince

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Thanks for your reply, Vince. That really doesn't sound very good! I hope I have better luck; if not, I'll be installing a replacement as well.
Frank.

ligolaiva38

Member II
Thanks for the great information. Now I will go with a manual head. I am working on which one now.
Thanks again,
Johh

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Next time I have the opportunity to upgrade a head I'll put in a SeaLand VacuFlush system. I delivered a boat with this setup last summer and it was a really cool device. Uses about two cups of freshwater to flush, and is very clean and quite. Mechanically very simple too. Just a big ball valve. The complicated parts are the vac pump and the waste pump, but those are remotely located, and not subject to the harsh working environment of the head.

I've never liked the huge electric draw and harsh noise of traditional electric-flush mascerator pump heads, but I'd take a lavac in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

vbenn

Member III
Speaking of Lavacs, I'll be installing one this season. Does anyone know of a suitable location for the pump? Ideally, I'd like to install Lavac's electric pump (made by Whale) with a manual backup. I think I have room for one but not the other in the locker behind the head on my E380.

Vince Benn
Wild Blue