• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tall rig 32-2?

pablo

Member I
I just recently became an owner of a 1975 32-2. Does anyone know how I can tell if she is a tall rig versus a standard rig? Also, is there a source for this type of information?
Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Observations from the peanut gallery:
How 'bout running a tape up the main halyard and actually measuring the how tall the luff is on the main? Perhaps then you could compare this to the info in some of the brochures you can d/l from this site.

There may be some info in a neglected part of the Pacific Seacraft web site, but I doubt that it is different than is found here in the Specs and Docs section.

Lucky for you -- lots of these boats were sold and lots of owners check in here.

Welcome to the group!
:egrin:

Loren

Seth

Sustaining Partner
TM or not

The easiest way is of course to measure. The I on the std. rig is 38, the TM is 41, and the P (mainsail luff) is 31.5 and 34.5 respectively. The actual numbers on the TM seem to vary slightly without consistency, but if you do the following measurements you will know at least which model you have:

For the I, snap a tape measure on the genoa halyard and raise up just until the halyard stops, but not jamming the shackle into the halyard sheave-then take your mesaurement to the deck right at the spot where the Upper shrouds go through the deck. Is this is more than 38, you have the Tall rig. Or, provided you have a fixed gooseneck (some do, some do not), measure down from the hoisted main halyard (as you did with the genoa halyard) to the top of the boom or the top of the black band near the boom (if one is fitted). If you have a gooseneck track instead of a fixed one, note the usual spot where the boom sits and use this point-either way, if the number is larger than 31.5-32'-you have the TM.

The sails may also be indicators (but not as reliable-since there are quite a few sails out there which do not really fit the boat). But if you lay them out and measure the luff of the main and get a length much larger than 32.5 (the real number should be 31.5 for std rig)-this 32.5 number allows for the possibility you were setting the boom in the lowest spot on the track-for sure you have the TM. Likewise if the luff of the largest genoa is longer than 38.5 (to allow for extreme aft rake in the mast), you have a tall rig.

Of course you may have luff lengths SHORTER than 31.5 for the main and 38 for the genoa, and you could still have either rig-this would be because the sails being measured did not fit properly-so the only thing you can infer from sail dimensions is that if they are longer than would be found on the std rig and fit the boat OK, then you have the TM..

There is more to measuring a boat-but this was to try and answer your question. There are a series of measurements needed by a sailmaker to build a sail that really fits well-if you want more info on that let me know.

Cheers,
S

pablo

Member I
tall rig

Much thanks for your well-informed response. I should have explained my situation. I'm looking for custom sailcover for the main and the sails and boat are both quite a distance from me at the moment. The measurements for the cover would differ according to the sail(luff length) involved. It's not too important, but because I can't get in touch with the owner I wondered if something such as whether one rig had single spreaders vs. double spreaders helped identify the rig. It's not too big of a problem for me to wait until Spring. Thanks for the help.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Wait till Spring

Gotcha- For sure, you do not want to order a sail cover without having measured YOUR boat with YOUR sails flaked on the boom and attached to the mast in the manner you ususally do these things. Almost any canvas shop/sailmaker will have a measurement form, and if they are not able to do the measuring themselves (because of distance), then use the form and take the measurements indicated-it is reallly pretty easy if you follow the steps on the form-they usually have a diagram shoowing each required measurement.

There is a huge difference in the fit of a cover-and this is what makes the difference..

Good luck,

S