• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted: Genoa for E32-2

Czech Mate

Member II
Hi:

Looking for a used genoa in reasonably good condition for a 1975 E32-2. Ideally, it would be about a 140% with a luff of about 36ft. I'm kind of new to the Ericson community as last season was my first with this boat and would appreciate any help or advice any of you guys might have. Love the boat.

wurzner

Member III
I have a 153% pentex (laminated sail) in great shape. It is about a 2800 dollar sail (I forget the exact price) but it has been flown less than 20 times and is in "like new" condition. I had a full set of cruising sails and racing sails. I sold the boat and kept the racing sails.

I also have a really nice main in equally good shape. 2 reef points, 2 full battens, 2 partial battens for sale if you are interested. My sailmaker said 1000~1200 would be a good deal, so 800 is an excellent deal. The sails mare made by the Ullman loft is southern california.

Shippng would be about $40 each. If you don't like the sail, I'll eat the shipping back and refund your money. I'm that sure about how nice they are that I'm sure they you'll be very happy.

regards
shaun

Czech Mate

Member II
Shaun:

Thanks for your reply. What I had on the boat last year was a 143% genoa that was in pretty mediocre condition. Last time we were out, I pushed it a little too hard and ended it's long life. Given that this will only be my second year on the boat I'm guessing that what I'm flying up front is going to see a fair amount of unintentional abuse. Also, the boat is used for crusing not racing. With that in mind, the genoa you have would probably not be the ideal sail for me. But if the price is right I still might be interested. What's your bottom line on the 153%?

Please excuse my ignorance but I'm not very familiar with pentax. Can a pentax sail be roller furled? Does the sail have luff tape or hanks? If luff tape, what size? I am assuming that since it was a racing sail that it has no RF cover, is that correct? What are the luff, leech and foot dimensions?

Looking out a little in the future I will probably be needing a new main as well. Is the main you have a standard dacron sail? If so, any idea of the cloth weight?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Bill

wurzner

Member III
Bill

The headsail is a laminate headsail opposed to dacron. The benefit of laminate is they do not stretch over time and are stronger/lighter than a comparable dacron sail. The sail has hanks, but can be converted to RF for about $150. The foot dimension are 19.6 and the hoist is standard E32 which I believe is 38.6. The bottom line is what I'm asking and that may be beyond what you are interested in. You can likely find a nice used dacron sail for $400-$600, even less depending on condition. This sail is pretty much new and as mentioned, a very expensive sail and the price is about 1/3 the cost of the sail. The same with the mainsail. It is also a laminated sail and in excellent condition.

If you are looking to save the boat bucks, you can get good use out of an older dacron sail and safe yourself a few hundred bucks. Also, it is easier to find a head sail than a main sail to retrofit your needs. When I added the mainsail, I was amazed at how well I could balance the boat and the loss of weather helm. So much that I purchased a new dacron mainsail in addition to the pentex main to use for cruising since I raced my boat and wanted to keep the pentex sails in the best possible condition, hence the condition they are in.

The pentex sail could be used for RF application. I do also have a RF headsail that is mylar/dacron that I would be willing to let go for less money ($400)that is in good shape. It has a luff tape already built in that I planned on using on my 32. I can measure and give you dimension if you are interested. I believe it was around a 140%.

good luck either way, you will be absolutely amazed at the difference in sails that are not blown out. Sailing the boat was lot more enjoyable and I really noticed how the new main helped balance the boat.

regards
shaun

wurzner

Member III
Bill

The headsail is a laminate headsail opposed to dacron. The benefit of laminate is they do not stretch over time and are stronger/lighter than a comparable dacron sail. The sail has hanks, but can be converted to RF for about $150. The foot dimension are 19.6 and the hoist is standard E32 which I believe is 38.6. The bottom line is what I'm asking and that may be beyond what you are interested in. You can likely find a nice used dacron sail for $400-$600, even less depending on condition. This sail is pretty much new and as mentioned, a very expensive sail and the price is about 1/3 the cost of the sail. The same with the mainsail. It is also a laminated sail and in excellent condition.

If you are looking to save the boat bucks, you can get good use out of an older dacron sail and safe yourself a few hundred bucks. Also, it is easier to find a head sail than a main sail to retrofit your needs. When I added the mainsail, I was amazed at how well I could balance the boat and the loss of weather helm. So much that I purchased a new dacron mainsail in addition to the pentex main to use for cruising since I raced my boat and wanted to keep the pentex sails in the best possible condition, hence the condition they are in.

The pentex sail could be used for RF application. I do also have a RF headsail that is mylar/dacron that I would be willing to let go for less money ($400)that is in good shape. It has a luff tape already built in that I planned on using on my 32. I can measure and give you dimension if you are interested. I believe it was around a 140%.

good luck either way, you will be absolutely amazed at the difference in sails that are not blown out. Sailing the boat was lot more enjoyable and I really noticed how the new main helped balance the boat.

regards
shaun

Czech Mate

Member II
Shaun:

Thanks alot for the info. However, I think at this point I'm going to continue looking for a traditional dacron Genoa in consideration of cost and life of the sail. If you know anyone who has something I might be interested in I would certainly appreciate if you could point them in my direction.

Regards,
Bill

wurzner

Member III
Dan,

Sorry about not getting back with you earlier and directly, I deleted your email since I thought you had responded to the list directly and not back channel to me. Yes, the sails are a good value but the main is not worth retrofitting to your 32-3. The headsail would be fine for your application depending on if you race or not. For cruising, it would be fine since it would be off the deck a little so you would have great visibility. I believe the difference in hoists is about 4 feet so you'd loose some on the bottom. The sail would be fine for RF or non RF applications and is great shape.

If you are not interested, you can check out http://baconsails.com or http://usedsails.com/. Headsails are easier to find something close so good luck. My headsail is really nice if you don't mind loosing some of the hoist.

regards
shaun