• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-32-2 Spinnaker Specs/measurements

ChrisS

Member III
Hello All--

After completing my first season with my "new" boat, I have had a great time and learned a lot. I'm now in the process of putting together a list of repairs/improvements to work on during the off season here in the SF Bay. I'm also going to take a trip up the Delta next June, so my days at present are peppered with dreams of gunkholing!

One thing I am on the hunt for is a cruising/asymetrical spinnaker (preferably used), and I have a few questions. 1) Does anyone know how to determine measurements, like with some sort of online calculator (or does anyone have the exact one for the 32-2)? 2) What other considerations should I make before looking for a sale (like weight)?

If anyone has a used sail or knows of one on the market, I'd appreciate your input.

--Cheers,
Chris

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I'm sure our resident sail expert Seth will chime in but I would suggest you find a sail that is 100% of your I measurement +/- a foot or two and 170-180% of your J +/- a few feet. So your I is 38', I would look for sails with a luff length around 38'. Your J is 13' so look for sails with a foot 22-23 feet. Obviously there are shape concerns but if you are within a foot or 2 of these numbers you should have a fairly decent cruising kite. As for weight I would think something around .75 oz unless you plan to fly it in breezier conditions in which case maybe 1oz. Lighter would be beter for light air but will probably not be as robust of a sail over the years for cruising purposes. Take a look here for some ideas:

http://www.baconsails.com/database/formkiosk.php?sailtype=101&luff1=36&luff2=38&foot1=21&foot2=24

You can search more here:

http://www.baconsails.com/

ChrisS

Member III
Cruising vs. symetrical?

Ted--

Thanks for the advice. I do plan on this sail being used in a windy area, so I was thinking a 1.5 oz., but maybe I need to do more research to find out what's being used in my area.

A sailmaker I spoke with recently claims that on boats with no bowsprit, A-kites make for less downwind control (than using a symetrical spinnaker). Anyone want to share their $.02 on this one? On my 32-2, I have noticed that it's a but squirrelly on a broad reach in windy conditions.

My old boat, a Ranger 23, had a regular spinny that I flew all the time. I'm considering getting an A-kite for my Ericson mainly for ease of sailing. The only experience I have with the asymetrical sail is on a J105, which had a bowsprit.

--Chris

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Squirrelly

Chris,

On our previous boat, a 32-2, I had 165%, .75oz A-Sail made. Sailing close to dead down (which I know you are not supposed to do, but sailing in a river its often the only option) it worked good up to about 10 kts true. Above that, the boat started to get really squirrelly. Heading up a bit would settle things down, but we'd hit shore real quick if we were in the river.

I think the squirrellyness has something to do with the overall boat design, and also that an A-sail rides primarily on one side of the boat, versus a symetrical which you can centered more or less in front of your forestay.

All that said, we had a lot of fun with it.

-Cory

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Fin keel spade rudder is always likely to get a little squirrely downwind in breeze. One thing with a kite either assym or sym that will help is to make sure your sheet lead is as far aft as possible when running deep. This is esp. needed with the assm. You may also want it aft when at hotter angles in breeze to keep the leech open and depower the sail some. As for the sailmakers comments I think what he was getting at is that these type of boats can be squirrely when broad reaching with too much sail area. Which I agree with. The issue of not having a sprit means you probably cant sail super deep with the a sail. The symmetrical will allow you sail DDW which can be easier to control in these boats. But I defer all comments to Seth who must be on vacation somewhere as we have not heard his sage advise in afew days...

Tazman

Member I
Hello fellow SF sailer. I also have a 32' Ericson. We are on our 3rd year of ownership and are almost complete with our rebuild. Last winter I put a Sailmaker to work in the off season and saved 20% on a Genaker (Assym) and a 90% jib. The smaller jib in the 30kt summer winds makes a huge difference. We sailed in 40 kts without even reefing the jib. The Assym we had made sure is fun to sail. I am getting better but not quite there yet.

Because of the heavy bay winds, I had a 1.5 oz. shoot made and use the ATN for dousing it. I had a sailmaker in Alameda come to the boat to measure it and asked him to downsize it for cruising. WOW. GO BABY GO.

Every June / July we sail into the Delta. Since it is a downwind run, we flew it from Alameda to Crocket. At that point, winds were 20-25 and we chickened out. This year we are sailing to the Delta in June, leaving our boat at Brunos for a couple of months. Great fun.

Feel free to give me a call if you want to stop by and see the rig. See you in the Delta.

ChrisS

Member III
Hello David--

Who did you commision to make the sail? I too am after the winter discount.

We were overnighting at South Beach in SF over Thanksgiving weekend, and by chance the next boat over was a 1971 32 out of Pt. Richmond. I have seen mant Ericsons on the Bay but few 32s, so it was cool to chat with another owner.

I've got a Doyle 110% that came with the boat (pretty much brand new, new main too) and have really had fun making her go as fast as I can--which is pretty slow, but she balances well. I'm tempeted to have the rudder lenghtened--which I think will improve downwind sailing.

Anyway, I'll be going up the Delta the third week of June, so maybe I'll see you up there.

Best,
Chris

Tazman

Member I
Hogin Sails

We had Hogin make the sails. Overall we are pretty satisfied. I did not shop around and the sails on the boat were Hogin. The original sails were made by the previous owners of Hogin. I had the new owner, Steve, repaired the sails and treated me well. I got a quote for the jib and Assy. , put down a deposti, and picked them up when ready. I am satisfied with the service and the overall quality of the sails. I do not race but do sail once a week, pretty much year round. I just put the 130 back on for lighter winter winds. Give Steve a call at 510-523-4388. Best wishes.:egrin: