• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Gas Cap

chrisandmandy

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1985 Ericson 28. The chain broke on the gas cap (diesel) and needless to say the cap sinks very fast:esad:. I thought it would be as easy as going down to the marine hardware store and buying a new cap. Five hardware stores later it looks like I'm in for some work.

Any good sources for used parts? If I have to replace the entire deck fill I'm told I'll have to cut a hole in the hull to get to the hose clamps. Obviously I don't want to go to extreme measures to replace a simple cap. Any info would be helpful.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Elusive fill caps

If you Search this site using words like --
deck fill or diesel fill cap, or similar, you will find some other owners with similar difficulties.
Like most production builders, Ericson would buy this product in case lots and then probably get bids for another lot, later, when they ran out again.
My '88 appears to be sourced from Goiot. It uses a winch handle to turn the cap. Nice feature, except that the little chain was gone when we got the boat a decade ago. We are a bit paranoid about losing a cap OB.
:(

Even the ones at the usual marine stores will vary in source (and thread!) after 5 or 10 years goes by.

I wish you luck in finding another, and don't forget to check with the used gear stores -- ya might get lucky.

Loren in PDX
'88 model

Last edited:

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I'm not sure of the particulars of your installation, but perhaps you can avoid cutting a hole in the hull or liner for access to the hose-clamp on the deck-fill by instead unclamping the other end of that hose (presumably attached to the diesel tank), and removing the deckplate with hose attached. Just a thought. Don't know if it's helpful.

Good luck, Nate

chaco

Member III
Wierd Fill Caps

The 74' E35II also has "no longer available fill hardware". There are threads on
our Site that indicate Ericsons use of non-standard fill hardware.
A good place to look is your local used Marine Parts Dealer, like Minneys
here in Costa Mesa, CA :nerd:
Most likely you will have to replace the fill neck and cap with a new one
made by Perko etc. I replaced mine with a SS model when I moved the fill
out of the cockpit floor and on to the winch pad area.
Never could figure out why Ericson would put a fuel fill in the bottom of a
bathtub (cockpit) :confused:

Happy Fuel Filling :egrin: :egrin:

Glyn Judson

Gas cap issue.

Chris and Nate, As others have indicated, it not too likely that you'll find an exact replacement. But on the subject of removing the old deck fitting for replacement of a new fittng, I have had success removing the three deck screws and then lifting/prying the entire assembly up so as to gain access to the hose clamp. It was actually one of the few boat jobs that turned out to be easy. Good luck, Glyn Judson E31 #55, Marina del Rey CA

tdtrimmer

Member II
Fuel Cap

An alternative to replacing the fuel fill unit is to use a cap from the waste or water fill unit whichever is more accessable. Then replace that fill unit. You will have to be sure and mark the cap as fuel.
Tom

jreddington

Member III
Who would have thought that there couldn't be something as simple as a standard on 1 1/2" deck fills?

I just lost my water deck fill cap into the drink. Have tried West Marine's brand, the Whitecap brand (I suspect this is who makes West Marine's anyway) and Perko. No fit on any of these. The Whitecap and West Marine are close but just a touch too small. The Perko is way to big?

Any other brands to try that I haven't come across yet? I REALLY don't want to have to remove the entire deck fill just because I'm missing a cap. Will also be prowling the consignment shops. However, this means, although I've lost only one cap, I have to have the other one with me at nearly all times for sizing checks. And with my luck, I'll lose track of that one two. Besides the unseamanlike look of my boat with rags and plastic stuffed into two open deck fills.

I will be off on a business trip to the Seattle area next week. Any recommendations of consignment shops there for me to check. Or "old fashioned" Chandleries with bits and pieces of all sorts of old and odd stuff tucked into corners with an owner who can somehow instantly remember where the obscure stuff is hidden?

msFootrope

I will be off on a business trip to the Seattle area next week. Any recommendations of consignment shops there for me to check. Or "old fashioned" Chandleries with bits and pieces of all sorts of old and odd stuff tucked into corners with an owner who can somehow instantly remember where the obscure stuff is hidden?

You might try Second Wave. There are two of them, one in Ballard near the Shilshoe marina (right next to the Purple Cow) and the second is in Freemont. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&u...WA&fb=1&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=4&ct=image.

I probably shouldn't be telling you about Second Wave because we haven't lost our caps yet, but every time I open on of the deck fills (be it water or fuel), I'm always paranoid about dropping the cap into the drink. Now that I know how hard they are to replace, I'm sure I'll end up losing one of them in the near future!!

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
My diesel cap went for a swim about two weeks after I got my boat. The replacement required climbing inside the lazarette for the painful removal of the fuel hose. However the new cap actually keeps rainwater out of the fuel tank and was well worth the exercise.

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
Gas cap,etc.

Several years ago, I lost one of my original filler caps and found that Hood Yacht Systems was the supplier. I checked their web site and this same cap is still avialable although very expensive. Just wanted to pass this information on. Dan Callen Ericson 32-3 Andiamo