• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Steering Cable Adjustment

Marty

I tightened the cables at the quadrant because there seemed to be a little slack. However when sailing in fairly heavy weather (with too much sail resulting in strong weather helm) a lot of force was required to keep the boat on the desired course. I'm guessing that the bearings are bad in the rudder post and the additional force caused by tightening the cables combined with the dynamic forces is resulting in friction / binding on the rudder post. Anyone else have similar experience?

Guy Stevens

Most likely just too tight

This issue is probably that you tightened them too tight, all you do is remove the slack, no tighter. Generally people overtighten them and have your problem or worse, they break something.

It is fairly easy to generate several hundred if not a thousand pounds of force or more on blocks and fittings in the steering system if you tighten the cables too tight. Loosen them a little just so there is no slack and then try again tell us what you get....

Also reefing can make you go faster. :)

Guy
:)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=3473&referrerid=28

Here is another thread discussing YS steering and including several pics of a wear problem I found and fixed on our '88 system.
If you click on Search and start trying words like Yacht Specialties, steering, or similar, you will find quite a lot of discussion... some quite helpful, and some just interesting, and all it sincere.

Guy is right, BTW, about getting the slack out without putting too much tension on those cables.

Also, have you found and greased all the zerks in the rudder shaft area? Those are often hard to see and can be "challenging" to get a grease gun nozzle to lach onto.

Cheers,
Loren in PDX

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
Working on the steering cables is a lot like working on bicycle parts. If any of you have ever adjusted the hubs or bottom bracket on a bike, the way you do it is pretty much to overtighten until you feel a rumble or increased resistance, then back off until the rumble just disappears. I found this to be true of the steering cables on my 38 as well. Also, if you tighten the cables until there is little or no deflection sideways (sort of like a fan belt test) it will probably be way too tight.

Marty

Thanks All

Yep - next step is to release some tension - currently they flex maybe 1/2 inch ('fan belt' test). THere is some flex / clunking when sailing so will check play next time I haul.

Related item - I am constantly (like after every sail) tightening the 3 screws that hold the stuffing box flange / cap in place - added some lock-washers but that didn't help.

dcoyle

Member III
After pulling my rudder for repair several years ago I wasn`t sure of the steering cable adjustment. The pedastil is a yacht specialties , as you might know is out of biz. So I called Edson and got the adjustment info from them. It is a very simple procedure where you use a ruler to measure the amount of travel the cable makes while you push up or down on it, mid span from the last pulley to the quadrant. They wanted to know the distance from the last pulley to the quadrant and they told me how much travel the cable should make, on my boat it was 3/4 inch. I hope I dint make it sound complicated, it really is a simple adjustment.

waltersaegir

Member I
Zerks locations

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=3473&referrerid=28

Here is another thread discussing YS steering and including several pics of a wear problem I found and fixed on our '88 system.
If you click on Search and start trying words like Yacht Specialties, steering, or similar, you will find quite a lot of discussion... some quite helpful, and some just interesting, and all it sincere.

Guy is right, BTW, about getting the slack out without putting too much tension on those cables.

Also, have you found and greased all the zerks in the rudder shaft area? Those are often hard to see and can be "challenging" to get a grease gun nozzle to lach onto.

Cheers,
Loren in PDX

Loren,
My Steering is *very* sticky and I saw your posts.
As I inspect the cable and parts, I suspect I will find loose and worn parts maybe need for new bushings.
I hate to say, but my '88 32-200's steering has not been touched.
I was down aft yesterday and saw 1 maybe 2 candidates for zerk fittings, but they were mostly covered with material. How many Zerks are they and *how* do you get to them? Do I just scrape away material with a sharp knife?

Thanks,
Walt

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren,
My Steering is *very* sticky and I saw your posts.
As I inspect the cable and parts, I suspect I will find loose and worn parts maybe need for new bushings.
I hate to say, but my '88 32-200's steering has not been touched.
I was down aft yesterday and saw 1 maybe 2 candidates for zerk fittings, but they were mostly covered with material. How many Zerks are they and *how* do you get to them? Do I just scrape away material with a sharp knife?
Thanks,
Walt

On my late 80's model, there are two zirc's. One is threaded right into the frp rudder tube and the other is in the top shaft support bearing... and a "bear" to get at.

Loren