• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sailing/Racing Software

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Can anyone recommend a program/game that will better my sailing/racing skills? What I really want is a game that will show me why I continuelly get my ass kicked in our lakes races. 3 last places and one 4th place out of 8 boats. The low point of the year was losing to a Cape Dory 23, flying its Jib sail only, with 2 kids crying and wearing diapers. I have tuned my rig to exact specs. I have decent sails and a good bottom. My problem is that I usually make a tactical error that completely screws me. What I would like to do this off season is to play around on the computer and learn as to why my judgement fails me. Im hoping that there is something out there that has different types of boats with different phrfs to truly show me the differences of choices that I seem to choose and there consequences. I just want to be competitive. I have a E-25 Cb, I know that it wont ever be a speed demon, but I sick of getting teased. I almost changed them name of my boat to "OFF", knowing that this might stop people from talking about who they beat in the race this weekend. Rob Hessenius

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I still have a working copy of SailingMaster, which is from a now-vanished company (Starboard Software), and only runs on OS 9 ! :rolleyes:
The wind shifts and dealing with crossing boats are quite like the real thing, though.

I'll bet there are current apps that do all this and more...

Loren

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
In addition to good software, I learned alot from reading some of the excellent books on sail trim and racing--for example, Stuart Walker's books, which are dry reading and technical, but good. Also Sail magazine's Sail Trim book is very good, and I'm sure there are others--maybe others can chime in on their favourites. But I think it's important to know how to trim the sails, use the traveller, boom vang, position the sheet blocks on the track, read the wind shifts, get a good position on the starting line, know the rules of the road regarding right of way, etc.

And in addition to reading, I found it helpful to talk with the winners of races I was in about their strategy and tactics, and also to sail lots to get more knowledgeable about my own boats, to know how to get maximum speed out of them.

Finally, ensure you have good equipment--ie. that your sails are in good shape (not blown out and baggy), that your knotmetre is accurate to let you know how you are doing when you make adjustments, etc.

Good luck, and don't give up!

Frank.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
The Blue Mafia cd/books...

*To put you in the mood, have the Darth Vader motif march music running in your head while reading this...*

North Sails University (and I'm sure J-world, and others) produces a set of books with high quality cd-rom tools to really help you improve. Top notch stuff. I don't work there, but I've taken the classes and work with the books and cd's in my off time which has helped me to continue to improve my skills.

I'm with Frank, in that I learn something new every time I open one of S. Walker's books... except that one has to remember they were written with a Soling or something in mind. Basic principles are still very solid in them.
Virtual Skipper is also a fun way to keep you sailing in January, but they tend to be more about the game than sailing.
Chris

windjunkee

Member III
Rob,

I could chime in with all the others and expound the virtues of the books. I have read various books from "high performance sailing" to "the sailors wind" to "around the buoys" and several in between. They run from technical to simple.
If you've done what you can to tweak the boat, then from there it is skill, knowledge and teamwork. I don't know of any computer game that will help you with that.
Its the time on the water and the time actually racing that will help build your skills. I've only been racing for three years now and I've gone from back of the pack to middle, with the occasional higher placement.
Watch the boats that consistently finish in the top of your class. How long to they hold their course before tacking? Which side of the course do they favor? If you see the boats on the left side of the course, look over there and try to figure out why.
Try and emulate what the lead boats do, but remain aware of your own capabilities. For instance, if you're heading to the upwind mark and a J-80 crosses clear ahead on the layline, don't tack on his transom and try to follow, because the J can point higher and you'll be forced to throw in 2 extra tacks.
Racing really keeps your sailing skills sharp. Your tacks and gybes should be crisp, as you work together with your crew as a team. Crew position is really important, especially on the lighter boats. Make sure after you complete a maneuver that your crew isn't hanging around in the cockpit drinkin' beer. In decent winds, finish the tack, sheet in and hit the rails. When driving, steer through the wind, fall off an extra 5 degrees or so to sail 'fat' before coming close hauled. Work with your trimmer and when you reach close haul, have your trimmer hit the rail too. You'll be amazed how much better you'll perform just by proper crew position.

With that said, we used racing/tactical software on our boat, primarily for the longer races, but this particular programs takes wind/speed/heading data directly from our instruments. It helps calculate starts for buoy racing though, and will integrate current and wind data where available. Its a pricey program, formerly marketed by B&G. Its called "Deckman".

Good luck racing.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

admirals barge

Member III
racing skills

rob

there are a lot of books available to read. even netflix has sailing dvd's. but if you want to learn and have fun at the same time try remote control sailboat racing. granted it may cost you a few hundred bucks for a boat, but the racing uses the same rules, and believe me they are just as fanatical as real boat racers. you can get sailing advise from old pros at the drop of a hat.and if you have childern its a good way to teach them how to sail. just my .02

take care happy sailing

greg

s/v dalliance
74 35 II # 325
los angeles,ca

e38 owner

Member III
Virtual skipper

Lately the kids and I have been playing the Virtual skipper demo version
Download the software and compete online
It has been alot of fun
As far a books go
North sails
Tactics and Trim books are good
A favorite of mine is Stuart Walker

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I have been fortunate to race out of the same club as Stuart Walker, SSA. In the winter he is often looking for crew on his soling for the frostbite series. I find I learn the most from sailing with as many different pepole as possible. I just did the Great Chesapeake Schooner Race on a 65' gaffer called the MArtha White. I did all the navigation and tactics and we ended up 4th out of 15 in our division but we were the first gaff rigged schooner in our class. While I have been racing at night doing tactics and navigation on the chesapeake for years this was my first schooner race. I realized that I know nothing about these worderful beasts. We flew sails I had never heard of, one called a gollywabler?. I finally went to sleep at 3am for 2 hours. When I came back on deck we were storming down the bay at 11kts on a broad reach in 18-20kts with the sun just rising. I looked off the port qtr and spotted the Gazzel(sp?) a 3 masted clipper with everything flying, the Virginia chasing down the Pride of Baltimore II, and a host of other schooners. It was a religious experience for me and I am a deeply changed man now. It is a wonderful feeling to rediscover sailing after all these years. I thought I new something about sailing but after 24hrs on a schooner I realize there is sooo much more to learn. Sorry if its off topic. I like the virtual skipper game a lot.