• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Care of a new mainsail

Roger Ware

Member III
Having just ordered a new mainsail for my E38 200, and today eyeing my mildewed, flaccid, shapeless 15 year old mainsail, I wonder, how can I look after the new one better than the old one was treated? Other than taking it off the boat after every sail, which I am not willing to do, how about a more waterproof mainsail cover? Are the lazy jacks that it folds up into a bad idea, should I be considering rolling it or something like that?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Roger Ware
E38 200 Starlight II
Kingston, ON

Roger,
Flaking the main on the boom is a good idea. Make sure the battens are along the top of the boom. You don't want the sail ties so tight that they give the battens a set they aren't intended to have. Put telltales on the aft ends of the batten pockets. They make it far easier to see how you are trimming the main. I take extra care to make certain I don't get any grease on the main. There is some used in the mast to make the main go up and down more easily. Check places where it may rub and reinforce those places. Mine has extra cloth where it rubbs on that little thingie that keeps the sail slugs from falling out of the mast. Enjoy the better performance.
Morgan Stinemetz

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Care and feeding

One of the best things you can do is to make your best effort NOT to store it wet-and especially wet under the cover. The nice thing about full battens is that since they dampen the intensity of luffing, you can leave the sail up for a little while even if it is not full with minimal damage-allowing it to dry before you stow it. If you come home from a sail and it is wet, come back to the boat the next day-make sure your spring lines are snug, and provided it is not TOO breezy, hoist the sail and let it dry-

Ideally, with more performance oriented fabrics, the best thing is to roll thhe sail rather than fold it, but this is not practical-nor should it be necessary with a fabric designed for a cruiser with full battens.

The 3 things that degrade a sail are SUN (UV), mildew (from being put away wet), and excessive flogging. The first 2 are obvious in terms of prevention, and the last one-despite my saying you can let it "rag" a few minutes to dry it out-really means that if doing the "main and motor" thing, do NOT let the sail flog indefinitely. Trim it in enough to steady it down.

Keep these 3 things in mind, and you will go a long way towards maximizing the life of your investment.

Cheers,
S

Roger Ware

Member III
flogging mains?

Seth, thanks for this - My main is 15 years old and has NEVER been out in the sun for long periods, and NEVER been allowed to flog for more than a few seconds (surely that is true for most sailors?). But it is completely shot. It does have mildew, but could we add a fourth factor to your list - age?

Cheers, Roger

Seth

Sustaining Partner
D'ooohhh!

Well Rog,

I guess the age factor is a given-all things age and wear out. With the best of care, the threads will break down from a combination of repeated loads, UV, and dampness. Hard to imagine the sail never spent a damp winter either in the cabin or in your basement, but even if that were not the case, time is the great equalizer!!

So, yes, add AGE!!
Cheers,
S

Roger Ware

Member III
semi-serious point on UV?

Seth, since most sailboat owners really only have their sails exposed to daylight for miniscule amounts of time (the outside of furled genoas excepted) why is UV even a concern for sailmakers? (not talking about long distance racers or cruisers, obviously).

Cheers, Roger.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Always was, always will be

UV rays are a well known factor in sail cloth aging-even at the typical rates of exposure. What you call "miniscule" (or do you always sail at night?) is typically enough to be a significant component in the aging of the fabric-based on the typical summer use of 1-2 days for 4-5 hours/week.

So, over the 15 years in your case, there has been enough exposure to UV for this to have an impact-add to that straightforward loading/unloading, the occassional flogging, the days and nights where the sail was put to bed wet (however few they may be), and the sail will simply wear out over time.

15 years is a good life, though.

Through a mainsail wake, remember the good times, rejoice in the new arrival (sail) and the coming years of enjoyment and performance!!!

We weep with you!

S

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I second Seths comments on storing it dry. One of the best things you can do is to roll the sail after use instead of flaking but the practicality of doing that on anything short of a race boat where you have a few people to help make this not likely. Others have mentioned not getting grease on the sail. I would also keep an eye out for any chafe from spreaders, lazy jack blocks, running backs, or topping lift. I also make sure to ease my outhaul off completely after use to unload that part of the sail. Same applies to the genoa on the furler. Just prior to rolling it up we bump the halyard off a touch.