• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Outboard Auxiliary Power Sizing

Brent Wright

Please Contact Admin.
I was wondering if anyone has any info on the recommended horsepower size for the outboard in my E26? It came with an Evinrude 9.9 Hp. and it is rather cumbersome in the cockpit, If I ever need to replace it with a 4 stroke I don't think it would fit.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Which E-26 do you have? The earlier one with the engine in a well? Later one with bracket on stern?
As far as "enough" power, I used a four stroke engine on a 4000# sailboat for a decade, before moving to our present 34 footer. I had a Honda 10, and then a Yamaha 10. The later had a lot more torque than the former, but both were quite good. I think I could have given up one or two horses... but not much more when faced with a steep chop in a narrow channel...
Note that 4 stroke horses are bigger 'n' stronger, at displacement speeds, than 2 stroke horses... IMHO.
The Yamaha 10 was the "Hi Thrust" model, and weighed about 100 #.
Maybe you just need something to get you into and out of your slip, so a 5 hp Honda would do the job just fine. Only you can know what is best for your local area.

Best,

Loren

Brent Wright

Please Contact Admin.
Thanks.
I have a 1967 E26 #64 with an outboard well, that is the reason for the cockpit space problem. I have decided that I'm going to build another cover out of Teak to cover up the motor and well. This should give a little more useable space and sound suppression. The current cover just sits on top of the motor and makes a lot of noise, of course with the new cover I'll need to put in a blower and vents.

JohnJRRN

E26 engine well

I have a 1970 E26 I have a Johnson 9.9 2stroke. I think it provides more that enough power for the boat but if you can find a 15hp its the same engine.
( the 9.9 is detuned for use on lakes )