• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted:Ericson38-200

Joe Perez

Hi:
Does anyone know of any Ericson 38-200s on the market that are probably presonally listed and are outside of Yachtworld, BoatTrader, etc.? I'm looking for a 1986-1990 and preferably on the West Coat.
...I'm really looking forward to being part of the Ericson owners community.
Regards,
Joe

Joe Perez

Thanks Richard. I've seen that one, which is quite clean. It seems a little overpriced for me. I'm seeing the 86's and 87's go between 70k & 80k. I saw an 1988 go for 90k, which I was really surprised at, since it was originally listed for $118. So, you never know, it may be worth making an offer to the one in Seattle.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW: a couple years ago or so another Seattle broker reportedly got around $125K for a PSC-built '93 model. It was *very* clean and showed well.

Loren

wurzner

Member III
Good choive on your selection...that is exactly what we purchased. As a reference point, it was listed for 84 and I believe we paid 77k in SF Bay area. Boats are typically 10~15 percent higher in the PNW, but has less UV damage opposed to CA boats. Ours had new standing rigging in 03, was clean, but had reasonably used sails and some uv wear. I think anything over 100 is out of line and anything approaching that should be really nice with all upgraded electronics, radar, etc. We have a nice invertor and the boat is clean for 20 years with new upholstery.

regards
shaun

You'll really like the boat!

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
$60 - $80k will get you a nice e38-200...don't get in
a hurry, and be willing to travel to see the bargins...they
are out there!!......imho, of course...

wurzner

Member III
I'm don't agree with the low end of the range. I'd been tracking 38-200's for a while and never saw one domestically in under 70K. Those in that price range required a fair amount of elbow grease as well, but that is to be expected with any 15+ year old boat. In the 60's you'd be looking at the high end of what a really clean 34 goes for , but not a 38-200. The non -200's tend to sell for a little less, but they tend to be older and there are more of them out there.

My .02 after looking for at a lot of them.

shaun

Don Taugher

Member II
wanted 38-200

Joe:

Good luck in your search for a 38-200, it sounds like you will be sailing on the West Coast. Keep in mind when looking at the listings, that many 38-200s have a shoal draft keel, which is not necessary or desirable for the West Coast. I think you will want to limit your search to the 6'6" draft boats, which most of the west coast boats are.

It took us two years before finding the boat which was right for us, we sail in Southern California and found the boat we love in Seattle. The move was a pain but worth the trouble and expense.

There is a older 38 for sail in Long Beach (no problemo) offered by private party in the mid sixties. The boat is well equiped. I think it is listed for sale in this section.

Again good luck, the 38 is a GREAT boat.

Don Taugher
38-200 #263
Running Free

rbonilla

shaun...the used sailboat market looks to me, to be "going soft"...imho there will be some great deals to come.....some good ones now, but the next year or so should yield better deals...watch the e38-200's, e35's, and e-32's...all nice boats to snap up @ decent prices....:0305_coff

I'm don't agree with the low end of the range. I'd been tracking 38-200's for a while and never saw one domestically in under 70K. Those in that price range required a fair amount of elbow grease as well, but that is to be expected with any 15+ year old boat. In the 60's you'd be looking at the high end of what a really clean 34 goes for , but not a 38-200. The non -200's tend to sell for a little less, but they tend to be older and there are more of them out there.

My .02 after looking for at a lot of them.

shaun

dfharris02

Prices of 38-200

I think the 38-200 listed for 118k and selling for 90k is the boat that we just purchased in Sausilito. I think 90k is definitely at the high end of the range but this is the first boat I've ever bought that I haven't had to put $$$ of maintenance into. The original owner had reciepts of upgrades (canvas, standing rigging, painted mast, running rigging, etc etc) of over $30k in the past year...she's like new and sails great. We feel it's good value because we are sailing/maintaining instead of restoring!:)

David

Ericson 38-200, Vuja De

rbonilla

yea, i agree...$90k is a good price if it is in xlt condition needing nothing ... was this the one listed in venture @ $118k?......if so, that one looked to be in fine condition....w/many upgrades...

I think the 38-200 listed for 118k and selling for 90k is the boat that we just purchased in Sausilito. I think 90k is definitely at the high end of the range but this is the first boat I've ever bought that I haven't had to put $$$ of maintenance into. The original owner had reciepts of upgrades (canvas, standing rigging, painted mast, running rigging, etc etc) of over $30k in the past year...she's like new and sails great. We feel it's good value because we are sailing/maintaining instead of restoring!:)

David

Ericson 38-200, Vuja De

rbonilla

has anyone on the board checked out the e38-200 for sale on the craigs list - san diego?...it l@@ks priced right, if it is in good shape...i would be interested in a partnership w/someone who lives in the san diego area that could "watch over" the boat a bit...i would come out ocassionally from colorado to use it.....anyone, anyone, anyone??.....:egrin:

AS ALWAYS.......THANX !!

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
has anyone on the board checked out the e38-200 for sale on the craigs list - san diego?...it l@@ks priced right, if it is in good shape...i would be interested in a partnership w/someone who lives in the san diego area that could "watch over" the boat a bit...i would come out ocassionally from colorado to use it.....anyone, anyone, anyone??.....:egrin:
AS ALWAYS.......THANX !!

Why don't you do that in Seattle? Then I'll be happy to 'watch out over it' every weekend! :p

//sse

rbonilla

Why don't you do that in Seattle? Then I'll be happy to 'watch out over it' every weekend! :p

//sse

ha!, yea? seattle , ea?....it would be nice to get a group (small) of ericson lovers to share / manage a nice e38 somewhere along the west coast...i will chat w/the Mrs. on seattle....I see there is one fs (on the board) up that way (olympia) ... around $50k....:D

Last edited: