• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Electric over Hydraulic Brake Actuators

Joe

Member II
I'm in the process of dismantling our E25's rusted out trailer to have it sandblasted and repainted. The old drum brakes are just on one of the two axles and are beyond repair: I intend replacing them and also putting brakes on the second axle. The trailer uses a Dico 10 surge actuator and I was searching the net for parts to rebuild it when I stumbled across the 'electric over hydraulic' brake actuators that gives one better reponse and can also allow for proportionate braking with the right in-cab controlller. The various manufacturers I've encountered are Dexter, Brakerite, and Carlisle. If anyone here can make any recommendations it will be much appreciated.

Jim Mobley

Member II
Electric is better

Hi Joe,

While I don't have any experience with the electric-over-hydraulic systems, I have pulled trailers with both electric and surge brakes. The electrics are much better.

One key is to get a good brake controller. The Tekonsha Prodigy seems to be the best available and it's not too expensive, about $120.00.

http://www.tekonsha.com/prodig.html

The nice thing about the Prodigy is that you can have it start braking as soon as the brake lights come on, rather than waiting for the tow vehicle to start slowing. This is adjustable and makes pulling a heavy trailer in traffic much easier and less nerve racking.

I would guess that the electric actuator in the electric-over-hydraulic system would respond as well as the electric wheel brakes.

rssailor

Electric-hydralic brake actuator

Yes, you will get much better brake control with a brake controller driving an electric-hydralic actuator for the trailer brakes. My dad installed one on his O'day 272 trailer and liked it a lot. I would put one on Moonglows trailer, but the entire trailer with the exception of the top of the tower goes swimming when I launch or retrive the boat.
Put one on, but keep the thing dry and you will love it. Ryan Moonglow E-25+