• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Worthwhile Keeping Old Instruments?

Joe

Member II
On the old E25 I just bought, the two instruments in the attached image are positioned just below the companionway. The previous owner told me that they probably don't work and I found a ratsnest of wiring behind them. Also, the one transducer seems to have a slow leak. (btw, the cables from the transucers are about 20feet longer than they need to be and the excess is just roughly coiled up beside the battery).

From what I can determine by googling, no spare parts are available for these instruments (Standard Horizon SL-1 and DS-1).

So, should I just remove them and replace with more modern instruments or are they worthwhile trying to salvage/repair?

Thanks you very much for any advice.

Attachments

• instr.jpg
    instr.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 278

Howard Keiper

I have the same series of instruments on Sea Quest. Parts are not available, as you've discovered, but the entire instrument may actually be...on E-bay. Even as I write this, there is a DSP for auction and you can bet it will sell for well over $100. I don't know what the attraction is but they are still popular.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
From personal experience and what I have read in books on sailboat 12 volt systems that location is the worst because it is one of the wettest. I would glass the holes up or cover both with a nice piece of 1/8" or 1/4" teak. Get those instruments up higher. When I got my boat, the PO had the VHF right under the companion way on the inside. It was already suffering some corrosion and I moved it right away. Those look to me like Standard Horizon? I don't think they are available anymore.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I m voting with Jeff.
How about planning a replacement with a current model of instrument, at your next haulout?
The Raymarine ST60 Tridata (to name just one decent brand) would be all you need and the digits are larger and much more visible. If you're skint go with their ST40 model.

This way you have new transducers, wiring, and readouts, and... a warranty.

Fill the old holes with 1/4" FR4 circles, with cloth and resin over the backside -- overlap the old structure about an inch or so... and top with gel coat or matching paint.

Loren

ps: I installed a new DS-1 on my prior boat, and it was only reasonably good technology at the time, in 1984.

rssailor

Old insturment

Well if they don't work, you will need new ones. That is a terrible location for em. You might want to pull em out and glass over the old holes. When you mount the new ones maybe put em on the bulkhead up high someplace. Yeah i'm with Loren in that old stuff that can't be fixed and is poorly placed are canidates for replacement. Raymarine is a good way to go as is Simrad and several other companies insturments. Do some research and I am sure you will find the best units for your tastes. Ryan

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I believe I had the same two instruments as you are showing. They use about a 4" hole. Fortunately for me they were already in this location. I got rid of the speed log and placed a 4" compass in one hole and a 4" depth in the other. Good location, nice and dry, easy to get to from inside the boat.

Attachments

• P9190004.jpg
    P9190004.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 232

Howard Keiper

Well, If any of you would like to get rid of your old DS, DP, or other of that ilk, please let me know. I like the style.
FYI, the peeling black paint on the inner face or bezel of these can be refinished easily.

Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
E-35 II
Berkeley

Joe

Member II
This forum is an amazing resource. Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. Following the suggestions, I'm probably going to replace the instruments: but before I do, I'm going to attempt to get the old ones working. I also intend closing the old instrument holes over winter.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
FWIW, a member at my club installed new Navman instruments last season. I just was on his boat and they still look great, work great, etc. If I was going to buy instruments I would look closely at them. RT