• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-25 w/ full keel & tall rig

soup1438

Member II
I have an Ericson-25 that I'd like to sell or otherwise...

It's got a full keel (needing 3'10" of water to float), a tall rig, usable (but not new) sails and steps on the mast. The main and jib mounted on the boat work well though the starboard winch is seized and there's something wrong with the winch for the main halyard.

The hull behaves in a *very* solid manner and I haven't found any soft spots on the deck (I was wondering if I'd be able to tell until I stepped onto a boat that was for sale and lost interest immediately) and, to be honest, this rigidity did wonders for my confidence whilst learning. Fortunately for me the bottoms I found were all sandy and was able to get myself off quickly. (I am coming to believe that an outboard helps with this since you can vector the thrust and rotate the boat.)

It is over-due for a bottom job and I'd suggest replacing the through-hulls with real seacocks rather than keep the existing gate valves. There are issues I never resolved-- and could not keep resolved-- with the electrical system. I used the boat mostly as a day-sailor and trainer. The companionway slide-hatch is on it's last legs, too. The head is disabled and locked because the P.O. removed the holding tank and I didn't have a habit of going far enough into the Gulf to pump over the side.

The 8HP o/b has some life left but does NOT add to the value of the boat.

The boat is located in a marina in Pinellas County, Florida, off Boca Ciega Bay. The marina has no haul-out facilities or fuel but does have a pump out and allows live-aboards (albeit at a greater slip rent) with pretty decent facilities.

My wife would like some money for it (despite the desperate need for a bottom job before anyone could go far with it) but I am rather more flexible.

We never put the name on the transom, BTW.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Attachments

• a-pic00005.jpg
    a-pic00005.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 229

soup1438

Member II
Gone - E25 w/ full keel and tall rig

I've donated my E25 to the Sea Scouts-- apparently the local group is enthusiastic about the boat and I'm comfortable with the idea that this will bring more people into the fold.

I *really* wanted to see that my E-25 would be used, appreciated for it's beauty and function *and* enjoyed by those who follow me. I've directed the folks who are taking it over to look over this forum because the community is priceless.

(bows)

Thank you all. From here on in, I'll likely be lurking, especially paying attention to the more generic subject matter which will still apply to me. Everyone here has given me *plenty* of food for thought.

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
I would be interested in the sum/bimini top or cover pictured...Or
at least dimensions or closer photos of same....I need to get hold
of one, or have one built for my e23 ( 1968 hull # 52 / Type 1 )

thanx......:egrin:

SeaScouts#956

Sea Scout Ship # 956 - Dunedin, FL
As Soup posted earlier his vessel was donated to a local Sea Scout Ship.

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Sean and i'm the Boatswain (pres.) of that Ship.

I would like to thank soup for this generous donation and assure you all that the process of restoring the old girl to her original glory is well in progress. The vessel is due to be hauled within the next two months for a complete overhaul of the underwater sections as well as a brand new bottom job. We are also planning vast improvements for the cabin and electrical systems.

What we do not have however, as Soup mentioned are properly fitting sails. If anyone feels they have a set of used sails that would fit the Tall rig of this vessel please consider donating them to a very active Sea Scout Ship. We are a non-profit organization charted under the Boy Scouts of America and all donations are tax deductible.

Again, donating your used sails and hardware would ensure the continued development of an outstanding program with the sole purpose of exposing tomorrow's adults to the joys and challenges of sailing.

Thanks again Soup!
-Sean, Boatswain Ship # 956
Dunedin FL

Mike Swift

'76 E-25 "Gulliver"
A liveaboard marina in Oldsmar?

Which one, pray tell!?

Are the rates reasonable? I have been contemplating a move back up the coast for some time now (I lived in Port Richey for several years...as a landlubber :rolleyes_d:)

Sadly, the marinas along the barrier islands of Pinellas County are strictly gold-plated, and quite limited for liveaboards (read: those bums who won't pay property taxes), but neither am I quite ready to take the *big* step and grow a beard, drop an engine block & chain in the bay for mooring, and dingy my garbage ashore... :unsure:

Last edited:

soup1438

Member II
Oldsmar? Sorry, no...

Oldsmar is above Safety Harbor on the Tampa Bay side and, to be honest, I don't think there are any useful marinas here.

When I had my E-25 it was down in South Pasadena at the Pasadena Marina which _does_ handle liveaboards... and, to be honest, I liked the folks and the facilities there, even though I was _not_ a liveaboard. About a year or more ago I was quoted a $250/mo surcharge for liveaboards over the basic slip rent, which, given the facilities (and existing rents in that area for housing) seemed pretty damn reasonable. All right, so you have to get your own power bill with Progress Energy.

I don't think Marine Max, which took over "Great American", is in the same class... and the Gulfport marina does not allow liveaboards at all.

Right now I'm renting a slip behind a house along Mandalay Channel but the facilities are, to put it mildly, nonexistent. I've been looking elsewhere...

If you look at http://www.southwindssailing.com/ you will discover there has been a lot of harassment through local regulations that hammer people who want/need a place to anchor. Apparently people buying the over-priced condos don't want to see sailboats...

I stopped at Marker One marina up by the Dunedin Causeway-- they want, IIRC, about $10.50 per foot per month... and they are trying to sell the slips as dockominiums... with insane prices.

I intend to take another look at some of the marinas up north of the Dunedin Causeway like Homeport and the like... and, as much as it is inconvenient, there is always some over-priced place along the Anclote.

It'd be nice to find some spot up in Gulf Harbors but my C30's keel would likely make that inconvenient to get to/from except at high water.

(sighs)

I've commented that 5'3" is too much keel for western florida... but then I see evidence that even 18" is too much keel. (shakes head)

I have also heard that there are yards up by Hernando Beach where I can have my boat hauled and can work on it myself.

And I will be trying to visit the Strictly Sail show on Friday afternoon.

Maybe what we need is to put a new thread over on either Raftup of Gulf Coast where we can share what we know (or complain) about marina facilities...

Mike Swift

'76 E-25 "Gulliver"
Thank you for the reply John. Yes, the Pinellas/ Pasco coastline seems to be less and less accomodating to liveaboards. When I lived in Port Richey, I had my eyes open for possibilities, but frankly, I found few short of Hudson Marina, or, as you say, private dockage.

Now, private docks are a heck of a good solution if you can find one. In fact, I am currently docked alongside a private seawall off of the Myakka in El Jobean. I have cable TV, telephone, high speed internet, water, and electric for "helping out" around the place--mowing the lawn, etc...)

I guess I'm spoiled. :nerd:

Still, I miss the city, and yet, I don't particularly wish to go the full-out anchorage route. Sadly, the trend in Florida is quickly moving toward the "dockominium"/"planned-community(with strict by-laws) and I, for one, don't like it!

I planned my move to a boat since 1989 while still in college in Boulder Colorado and never expected to spend $250,000 for dock-space!

Along the canals of El Jobean, there are MANY empty seawalls where the owners are all too happy to let you tie-up and run an electric cord for $150mo or less, but Pinellas is a different story.

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I've donated my E25 to the Sea Scouts-- apparently the local group is enthusiastic about the boat and I'm comfortable with the idea that this will bring more people into the fold.

I *really* wanted to see that my E-25 would be used, appreciated for it's beauty and function *and* enjoyed by those who follow me. I've directed the folks who are taking it over to look over this forum because the community is priceless.

(bows)

Thank you all. From here on in, I'll likely be lurking, especially paying attention to the more generic subject matter which will still apply to me. Everyone here has given me *plenty* of food for thought.

Sorry to hear about you going boat-less, John...

But just like the mob, I'm afraid that getting out of the Ericson family is tough to do... :egrin:

We need you to continue to visit and provide input to other owners who need what you have squirreled away in your head about your boat....

So don't be surprised if you start hearing from us.... :D ...we still need you...

//sse

soup1438

Member II
Ericson and "The Man"...

Given that an E25 was *my* first boat, it is far easier to get the man out of the Ericson than to get the Ericson out of the man.

And, yes, I know, it's kind of like what some folks say about Marines.

I'll probably be living with a warm spot in my heart for Ericsons for a long time to come...