• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

bending on mainsail, E-25

briangsmith

Member II
OK, 2nd season with my E-25, but first time bending on the
mainsail- This should be pretty straightforward, right?
run her down the boom track, secure to outhaul, run up
track on the main... and sail must also be attached (by
'hook or by crook') where boom meets mast??

tips??

thnx!

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Gooseneck

The fitting which joins the boom to the mast is called the gooseneck, and there should be a section of this (Stainless Steel) fitting with a "jaw", which some holes you can pass a clevis pin through.. This is where the tack of the mainsail goes (in between the 2 sides of the S.S. piece), and is secured with a pin.

The 2 hooks you see on the outside of this fitting are for reefing.

Hope this helps!

S

briangsmith

Member II
thnx

thanks Seth! figured it all out two weeks ago
and have been happily sailing since!

so, who makes a decent, affordable, durable
mainsail for this old girl?? lord knows how old
this one is... many, many moons and tides~

brian
s/v sparkle plenty
homer, alaska

bigtyme805

Member III
Hi Brian:
Check out www.thesailwarehouse.com They are affordable and have sails already cut for most ericson's. I purchased a 150 headsail and have been very happy with it. I am about to purchase a new main sail from them. Going to cost me about $800. Hope this helps.

briangsmith

Member II
hhmmmm...

the sail warehouse has stock mainsails for E23s and E27s--
but no E-25s-- (argghh) guess i'll have to do the whole 'measure
and pray' routine~ how accurate is this? or, can one just ship
a sailmaker one's old sail for reference?? (winter, stripped off the
boat anyhow)

bgs

Seth

Sustaining Partner
sails

I would bet there is a local outfit who does canvas, repairs and the occasional cruising sail. They are likely to be low cost, with good quality, and you will get local support-you could even give them your old main to duplicate. I know this is Alaska, but someone must be catering to the sailboats there. That would be my first choice. However tempting it might be, DON"T buy anything stock-there is no such thing-at least for quality sails.

The next thing I would try is one of the smaller local lofts in the Seattle/Vancouver area. Once you get a quote you like, tell them to fax/email you their measurment form, and FILL IT OUT. Unless they can convince they have done a lot of YOUR specific model (and I doubt it), you will save yourself a lot of heartache by verifying the dimensions and filling out the form and sending it back to them. This is easy, and if there are some things you are not clear on, call them while you are trying to take the dimension (or you can reach me directly if need be), and one of us can talk you through it-it is easy-This is critical because there could well be a fitting problem if you do not make 100% sure they have the right dimensions, and they can't just pop down to the boat and fix it-you have to get it right the first time!! Trust me-it is worth the effort.

The major lofts in the PNW-Quantum,UK, Doyle, etc. will have good sails at reasosnable prices, but you might find savings from some of the smaller, non-affiliated one. Stay away from overseas (Hong Kong, Sails East, etc) companies...Not that they are always bad, but you can't afford a problem without local (ish) support..

briangsmith

Member II
thanks seth- all good advice.. no, nothing here in AK-
but i will check into the pacific northwest companies
you suggested- have also sent an e-mail to my rigger
at port townsend rigging (dan and lisa there are great!),
asking their recommendation~

bgs

briangsmith

Member II
thanks seth- all good advice.. no, nothing here in AK-
but i will check into the pacific northwest companies