• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 keel bolts

JasonRJ

I am looking at purchasing a 1971 E27 Hull #128. While looking over the boat this weekend (7/1/06) I pulled both of the floor access panels. Under each panel is one keel bolt in good shape and close to the good one there is another rusty depression which appears to be the remains of another keel bolt. Anyone know how many bolts hold the keel on in an E27? I posted pictures of the bolts and areas below the sole on SmugMug (http://jasonrj.smugmug.com/gallery/1620327) they are in the last 2 pages.

Thanks,
Robert

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Keel redux

Hi Robert,
Here is your answer, in this older thread.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=943&referrerid=28

Note that the 27 has internal ballast, so the bolts do nothing to hold the keel in place.

Also, if you click on the word Search in the blue above these messages, and enter words like ericson 27 keel, you will find a lot of discussion. Try other words that pique your curiosity, as well. Sean has done a great job of setting up the software for this site and there is a ton (!) of information indexed... and available at the click of a mouse.

All the best,

Loren in Portland

Last edited:

bigtyme805

Member III
Hi Robert:

I got your message and Loren already answered your question about the Keel and the bolts. The oozing you are talking about is a little strange never seen that before. Your best bet is having this boat pulled out of the water and inspected before you buy. I looked at the pics of the boat, the person selling it made some changes in the interior, like the chart table in the quarter berth, stairs for the v-berth. Cut-hole in bulkhead for speaker, do not like this. Took door off of head, appears for stairs going to v-berth. Bottom looks like it might need paint, but not sure about this? Might want to check for blisters, mine had a few a had to tend to. But remember I am in salt water, don't know where you are.

If you need any advice on this please let me know. I totally refit my boat over the past couple of years.