• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 35-3 cradle (blue print)

spoudrette

I am looking for a blue print with all details to build a cradle for an E 35-3 1984 with a 4'11'' draft keel.
Any informations would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
New England Owners... Help, Please!

Ok - I'll pick this up to try and get one of you New England guys - especially those of you in www.EricsonME.org - (who haul out your boats annually) to reply... (please....)

What route did you take in having a cradle constructed for you - and what would you suggest to this fellow who needs to have one constructed for his 35-3?

Thanks for your help!
//sse

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Cradlebuilding is an entirely front-end-loaded art, and as TravelLifts have become more and more prevalent in clubs and marinas it is a dying art as well. If you're doing lots of cradles it's a nice, scalable business; you pull your templates and jigs out of the back shed and cut and weld away. But if you're doing just one it's a ton of upfront work, even if you have a yard full of cradles to walk around and get ideas from. For one cradle, any sane welder would charge a lot more for design than a scaled-up welder would for the shipping. Those who don't, are likely to cut corners here and there.

May I suggest http://www.jowi.com/

Jowi is in North Carolina but ships cradles all over the country. My yacht club, on City Island just north of Manhattan, lacks a TraveLift but is blessed with a very effective railcar/tide system, is a cradle-only club and this is where we get all of our cradles. These are full-featured cradles, with good folding characteristics and a huge amount of adjustment that can fit just about any boat -- they have almost certainly made a cradle for a 35-3 before.

I have no connection with Jowi but it happens that in a moment of misplaced conservatism I happen to own a brand-new Jowi model 1.5 which waiting to be traded (by Jowi) for a Model 1. It is too big for my club's rail system but it would accommodate your 35. If you want to make a deal let me know.

tenders

Last edited:

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Cradles are a thing of the past around my neck of the woods (western Long Island Sound). Boat yards don't like them because they take up much more space than jack stands when not in use.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Jack Stands vs. Cradles

Geoff Johnson said:
Cradles are a thing of the past around my neck of the woods (western Long Island Sound). Boat yards don't like them because they take up much more space than jack stands when not in use.

Huh - I had no idea that they were seen as something from the past... Is that pretty typical in the NE - that most people now put their boats up in the winter with jack stands?

I always thought the main benefit of a cradle (vs. the jack stand) was that the cradle provided more even support - for a longer term - to prevent the creation of depressed areas on the hull...which I've seen you guys discussing (how to get rid of them).

So - most of the people in the NE are using jack stands (over the winter) then?

//sse

ps: Thanks for the link, Tenders! :egrin:

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I have had my boat lifted of the ground with jack stands without any damage, although I wouldn't recommend doing that. Jack stands normally just hold the boat upright, with the weight carried by the keel. Because of the pointy keel on the Ericson, my yard places a stand under the bow and another just behind the keel to support the engine area together with two stands on either side. When they are finished, I sneak a couple more in.

Emerald

Around the Chesapeake (Mid-Atlantic), it all seems to be jack stands. Boats are often packed in darn tight with just enough room for the travelift's wheels to clear the adjacent row.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald