• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Water Heater on E-29

HGSail

Member III
The P.O. of my boat had installed a 1 or 2 gal heater on the bulkhead between the lazzertte and the inside of the cabin just behind the engine. If your looking at the engine it's the bulkhead on the right. I removed it. I boil water if need be

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
SS Tank, perhaps?

http://www.atlantic-marine.com/Tplan.htm

I managed to install a four gallon T4 model under the nav seat in our 34 footer, a few years ago. Quite a compact little unit. Water is still warm the next day, but not really not. A six gallon would be better, but there was only so much room...

Loren

Bill Sanborn

Member III
In my '79 E29 a 6 gallon water heater is mounted on top of the fuel tank. The heater tank rests on a piece of plywood with cleats on the top and bottom that fit along the edges of the fuel tank and water heater to controll movement. There is also a wooden spacer between the water heater and inboard side of the lazerette that the heater is strapped to with nylon web. The spacer allows enough room between the water heater and the side of the lazerette for the engine exhaust and access to wiring.

I have been in heavy winds a few times and it hasn't moved nor have I seen any wear on the top of the fuel tank.

The water heater has a heat exchanger in it so you can use your engine coolant to heat water while underway if you have fresh water cooling. The hot coolant is routed from the engine thru the water heater and then to the heat exchanger.

Warning: the water is VERY hot, much hotter than found in a home water heater. My engine runs at 180 - 185 degrees. I always warn my crew to be careful of the hot water.

Getting the water heater into the lazerette is the biggest problem. The PO cut a piece of fiberglass from the outboard horizontal lip of the lazerette the width of the water heater tank to allow access. I don't think you could get the water heater in otherwise. I haven't experienced and leakage in the lazerette because of this. Cutting this has a very high "pucker factor". I am assuming all E29's have the same dimensions:unsure: .

Good luck with your project.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Has anyone used one of the tankless-ondemand electric water heaters? This gives an endless supply of hot water (up to 17 Gal the water tank size). They are small and the price is less than a marine heater. I have thought of trying one, but in Alabama the water needs cooling not heating during the seasons that I have water in the tank.

mohawkelly

Bill, Thanks for the info. I also have fresh water cooling running about 180 degrees. Maybe there is a heater that will fit without cutting. I don't have the dimensions at hand.