• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wacky depth sounder

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I've done a few postings on this site about our new 32-3 and this time it's about the depth sounder. At sea trials and now that we own the boat, we were getting grossly inaccurate readings on the depth sounder. For instance, in our slip, which is about 8 to 6 feet the depth indicator showed 134 feet! Now unless this is where someone started to dig that hole to China, I'd say it was a bad reading. However, I think I know why.

Before sea trials, prior to us owning the boat and during the survey process while the boat was on the stands in the parking lot; the owner had the hull barrier coated and bottomed painted. Of course the numb skulls in our yard painted over the transducer (correct term?) for the depth sounder :nonono: and I think this added thickness of barrier coat and bottom paint is causing the false reading. On my old boat I was always careful not to paint the depth sounder for that reason. I've heard that bad readings can be casued by this but what do you think or what have you experianced? I'll probably have a diver go down and scrape the paint off.

Bolo
Vesper 32-3 Hull #722
Annapolis

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
My depth sounder transducer is painted over and I have no problems with the transducer. I did however have to replace the display unit that was giving me inaccurate readings like you have. I really don't think even 1/8" of paint would cause that. After much experimenting with the old display I gave up and bought a new one and the problem was solved. The good news was that the transducer was fine. The new Standard Horizon display was a little over $200. bucks. If I would have had to replace the transducer it would have been another $200. or more plus the haul out to replace it.

Here's what I would do. Buy a new display, hook it up. If it doesn't work you can take it back at most marine electronic stores. Much easier to test it by hooking it up to a good display in the water first.

Been there, done that.

Good Luck

Oh Yeah, Transducers and Displays are sold separately on most quality units. Unlike those cheapo fish finders.

Last edited:

CaptnNero

Accelerant
check cable

I once had ratty data on a Datamarine sounder. The problem was from a pair of bnc connectors put in the cable near the transducer. Moisture penetrated the cable and corroded it severely.

Besides the cable, have you cleaned/tightened the connections ?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I'll have to check it out

The depth sounder is a Datamarine and I haven't yet checked any of the connections but that is probably the place to start. It is the older round Datamarine "pods", with one for depth, another for speed and the third for wind direction. Three in all. I know there is a place near Annapolis that fixes them because they had a part fo my other Datamarine unit on my old boat. So, I'll check out those connections first before I send a diver down. I always thought that excessive paint on the sensor would cause it to malfunction.

Bolo