• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Where do you store....?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
My wife and I are new owners of a 1984 Ericson 30+ boat, and love how she looks and sails. The only problem we are having is finding enough accessible storage for weekend/one week sailing trips. We are wondering how those of you with similar size Ericsons use your storage, to see if maybe we can make better use of the available space. Currently we do the following:

--port cockpit locker: cleaning supplies & pail, spare lines, starter battery, fenders, extendable boat hook (as this is next to the engine, I don't want to add anything heat-sensitive, and also want fairly easy access to the engine);
--quarterberth locker under the cushions: two house batteries
--quarterberth: extra headsail, spinnaker & bag, bimini cover & poles, lifejackets, companionway cover boards while underway, wife's clothes travel bag;
--navigation station: charts, tide tables, pencils and a couple of bottles of wine in the spots provided for that;
--hanging locker has garbage bag and basic tool kit;
--galley cupboards: next to sink is filled with basic food items; port side one contains basic dishes/glasses;
--dinette cushions have no storage space behind them; under stern port cushion has spare engine hoses, oil, tranny oil, etc.; under the forward in the cabin has towels, etc.; starboard under settee is filled with water tank;
--V-berth contains the holding tank and optional water tank; extra small locker at the entry way contains spare lines, boat wax, cleaning cloths, etc.; larger locker under V-berth cushions is too inaccessible for us to have found a good use for them, as the cushions are very cumbersome to move regularly; I also store my clothes/travel bag in the V-berth.

I would like to manage without using the entire quarterberth for storage of sails, bimini, etc., and am missing small drawers for things like corkscrew, barbecue lighter, etc.

I would appreciate hearing any creative solutions or advice.
Thanks,
Frank.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
hang that hook ?

Frank, on our E34 the companionway ladder rails have a some nice hand holes that are great for securely hanging a boat hook. It also makes the boat hook handy when various things make their way over the rails. A week ago I scooped a couple of things from the port side while in the dock.

The down side is that when you need to open the engine cover you have to take the hook out. Since I check the oil before leaving the slip, I leave the boat hooks laying out in the cockpit so it isn't really wasted effort.

I'm sure you'll manage to use every available space for your stuff, new and old. :) Otherwise, good luck with the new boat and all of your boat stuff.

Last edited:

Frank Langer

Neal,
This sounds like an attractive option, as it would make the boat hook more accessible than in our cockpit locker. But I am having trouble visualizing where the holes might be (or could be created) and how the boat hook is positioned. Can you clarify?
Thanks.
Frank.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
I guess I should take a picture. On either side of the companionway inside the cabin are some nice one piece teak handrails at the edges of the opening. The handrail is shaped with stubs that extend to the wall for fastening it. That leaves long gaps to grab with your hand. We simply put the hook into the gap and let it slide down to hang on the next stub.

If you don't have those kind of handrails, you might be able to put one of the tube grabbing pole hangers on the side of the openning, but I am just speculating now.

I'll be going to the boat tomorrow so I'll take a picture for future reference.

Frank Langer said:
Neal,
This sounds like an attractive option, as it would make the boat hook more accessible than in our cockpit locker. But I am having trouble visualizing where the holes might be (or could be created) and how the boat hook is positioned. Can you clarify?
Thanks.
Frank.

Frank Langer

Thanks, Neal. A picture would be great, as it sounds so simple and useful! Others may appreciate it as well.
Frank.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
companionway storage

Frank, here it is. Notice that we put a little hook under the top step to hang our hats on, too. I'm also making a teak box to attach below the hats and just above the engine cover to store gloves, binoculars, winch handles, horn, etc.

Hope this helps.

Frank Langer said:
Thanks, Neal. A picture would be great, as it sounds so simple and useful! Others may appreciate it as well.
Frank.

Attachments

• hooks.JPG
    hooks.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 326

Frank Langer

Thanks, Neal. With the picture, it's really clear. With your placement of the hats, and possibility of adding a box under there, I can see that I need to start thinking about space options with more creativity than I had done so far. That's very helpful.
Frank.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Obviously those are some of the daily use items thst we want to keep handy.

Frank Langer said:
Thanks, Neal. With the picture, it's really clear. With your placement of the hats, and possibility of adding a box under there, I can see that I need to start thinking about space options with more creativity than I had done so far. That's very helpful.
Frank.

Dan Hayes

Member III
Where do you put it all...

I've found that I was carrying way too much stuff, that was too seldom used, on my boat. If you don't use it, why carry it? For example, if you are designating a locker for waxes and cleaners, but don't use them on a week long cruise, why bother taking them along? When I started leaving that stuff at home (or in the dock box), I found lots of space to put things on the boat when I took off... for example, I really didn't need that heavy 50 foot rubber hose at Catalina, so why bring it? I do carry one of those small, coil-up type hoses in the port sail locker, which takes up a lot less space, and the heavy hose stays at home.

All my tools are in one tool box, that lives under the "step" to the V-berth. That way, you always know where your tools are. It goes off the boat when I do, to not only prevent theft and rust, but in case I need it at home.

I think the credo of the long distance cruiser is, if you haven't used it in six months, toss it. As a short distance cruiser, I don't need to toss stuff, permanently, but I do bring them home to clutter up the garage.

If you have dry bilges, you might try putting extra bottles of wine (cushioned by an old,thick, cotton athletic sock) in that space.

I use the "fold-up" plastic crates in the large locker to corral smaller things that tend to dive to the deep recesses where they're never seen again - things like hose nozzles, extra fender holders, etc. that you never seem to have a place to put away. The "fold-up" feature makes it a lot easier to get them in and out of the locker. They cost just a few dollars at Target.

I put spare parts and stainless steel fittings in plastic organizer containers that seal tightly, and other larger items in those plastic "shoe box" storage boxes (again from Target) and store them in the space under the V berth cushions, along with other light, seldom used items like the bosun's chair, Mega Light, spare line, electrical parts, etc. That seems to work well, and I always know where they are. Those instant label machines work well to identify which stuff is in which box - that saves time if you need something in a hurry.

I use one "gear hammock" over the V-berth to store light items like towels and a blanket. Keeps them from getting moldy, and they are accessable. Makes the V-berth look cluttered, though.

I also found some small "mini" crates that work well in tight spaces - again to keep the small stuff from disappearing into the most inaccessable areas.

One thing I have to do is come up with a place for sail ties - they have a tendency to dissappear when it's time to use them. I just bought some "sheet bags" for the furling line - maybe that's a good spot.

Hope this was helpful.

Frank Langer

Thanks, Dan--that's very helpful, and I will put some of your ideas to use. We have the additional challenge for the next couple of years, of having our boat on the coast, while we live 1200 kilometres away, until we move there when we retire. In the meantime, we need to be a bit more overinclusive in having stuff on the boat that we may need, as home isn't so easily accessible when we're out there for a week. But you have given us some good ideas.
Thanks again!
Frank.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Sail ties

I suggest storing them on the hand rails just inside the companionway. Just make a loop in the middle of the tie, pass that under the rail, and pull the "tail" through the loop-they are now secure, yet easy to reach..

escapade

Inactive Member
extra storage space

On our previous Ericson (a 30+) we cut openings behind the cushions in the salon. You'll find enough room to store can goods and drygoods for several days cruising. Remove ths cushion backs and using a hole saw bore a hole just below the top edge of the seat back. Caution! Don't get carried away as you don't want to bore through to the outside! Start with 1 hole (2" works good) and then look behind to see what your getting into. Once your comfortable with where to cut continue with the project. We cut 2 openings on both the port & starboard side about 18" long each. Then cut 1/4" plywood to roughly fit to create a bottom. It should be deep enough to store ceral or macaroni boxes or similar products. About 2 1/2" wide is about right. Glass the ply in place and then go to a camper supply and get the trim edgeing to finish off the opening. Amazing the amount of space there is back there for small items. The advise about removing unused items holds true also. Hope this helps.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade" :cheers:

chasandjudy

chas and judy
E30+ Storage

My wife and I are new owners of a 1984 Ericson 30+ boat, and love how she looks and sails. The only problem we are having is finding enough accessible storage for weekend/one week sailing trips. We are wondering how those of you with similar size Ericsons use your storage, to see if maybe we can make better use of the available space. Currently we do the following:

--port cockpit locker: cleaning supplies & pail, spare lines, starter battery, fenders, extendable boat hook (as this is next to the engine, I don't want to add anything heat-sensitive, and also want fairly easy access to the engine);
--quarterberth locker under the cushions: two house batteries
--quarterberth: extra headsail, spinnaker & bag, bimini cover & poles, lifejackets, companionway cover boards while underway, wife's clothes travel bag;
--navigation station: charts, tide tables, pencils and a couple of bottles of wine in the spots provided for that;
--hanging locker has garbage bag and basic tool kit;
--galley cupboards: next to sink is filled with basic food items; port side one contains basic dishes/glasses;
--dinette cushions have no storage space behind them; under stern port cushion has spare engine hoses, oil, tranny oil, etc.; under the forward in the cabin has towels, etc.; starboard under settee is filled with water tank;
--V-berth contains the holding tank and optional water tank; extra small locker at the entry way contains spare lines, boat wax, cleaning cloths, etc.; larger locker under V-berth cushions is too inaccessible for us to have found a good use for them, as the cushions are very cumbersome to move regularly; I also store my clothes/travel bag in the V-berth.

I would like to manage without using the entire quarterberth for storage of sails, bimini, etc., and am missing small drawers for things like corkscrew, barbecue lighter, etc.

I would appreciate hearing any creative solutions or advice.
Thanks,
Frank.

Hi Frank it is I, Charlie another 30+ owner on Vancouver Island, I put eight drawers in my boat if you come to the rendezvous, check it out. or where are you going and when this summer maybe we can get our ships together. P.S.
two E 30+ s will be at Chemanius June 4 and 5 to see South Pacific the show and dinner at the theatre. Then we are going to either Naniamo or Wallace Island , depending on the weather we also hope to get to Montigue Harbour sometime in the week after .

Chas and judi on "EDEN" E30+ #720 hope to see you sometime this summer !

Frank Langer

Charlie,
Thanks for your reply. We are not quite retired yet, so are still living in Edmonton with periodic one week sailing trips to the coast. Therefore we won't be at the rendezvous this year. Perhaps we'll connect sometime when we are on the water during one of our trips.
Thanks again!
Frank.