• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Roller reefer/furler

polackrm

Member I
Hey Guys,
I'm thinking about putting a new roller reefer/furler on my e29 and have been looking at a system on the internet called an ALADO, they are out of Brazil and the system looks good and has some great features. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these systems or know anything about them. The price seems to be right but I don't want to buy a pig in a poke, if you know what I mean. Will be seeing you all out there at the rendezvous. Bob on "Pegasus" Port Angeles::confused:

bigtyme805

Member III
Hi Bob:

I thought the same thing as you before I bought mine one year ago. I had a rigger put it on for me and he was impressed by the furling so much he now retails them. You will be able to put it on yourself, no problem, I just did not have enough time. Took my guy about two hours.

What he did say that was interesting, is you dont use your pre-existing halyard, so you never have to worry about stress on the rig, or your halyard getting rapped around the headsail.

Attached is a picture for you.

Attachments

• furler resized.jpg
    furler resized.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 392
  • P1050001.jpg
    P1050001.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 600

polackrm

Member I
Don, Thanks for your reply and pictures, the features that you mention are the features that I really liked, also that they are designed to fly two sails at once. Good pictures too. Bob e29 "Pegasus" Port Angeles, WA.:egrin:

wanderer

Member II
wow, that's an awesome price for a furler! me thinks me will be spending less money than i'd anticipated!

maggie-k

Member II
Alado Furling on Maggie-K E-29

Here is a photo of my Alado system . I have put on 4 of these furlers to date . About 2 hours is right for instalation . No need for special tools or skils

Attachments

• DSCN0429.jpg
    DSCN0429.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,188

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.spin-tec.com/
Here is another alternative to the standard ones like the Harken. It looks like this one and the Alado both save production cost and complexity by eliminating swivels and bearing races. All other factors being equal, simplicity can be a very good thing.

It will be interesting to see how they fare in the market... whether for better or worse, change comes rather slowly to the sailing upgrades aftermarket.
(We have boats in our YC with furlers from about 30 years ago that are still working, after a fashion, and the owners will probably not replace them until absolutely forced (!) to do so.)

Loren

ps: the Alado site, http://www.aladous.com/ is not exactly one of the better-written ones I have ever tried to view... :(

polackrm

Member I
Thanks for the info on these units, ordered one this morning. $735.00 including shipping is really quite the deal. See you all at the rendezvous, I'm in slip CD-1, sounds like I'm in charge of the music. Bob e29 "Pegasus"

polackrm

Member I
Loren,
I also looked at the Spin-Tech system and it sounded really good, but I downloaded the installation manual and found that you have to ascend the mast to disconnect the headstay at the masthead. Then you have to assemble the system on a flat surface, glueing the pieces together and then pick the assembled unit up, without kinking it, back up to the masthead. Also, when assembling you either have to let the glue dry overnight or get it installed within an hour. If, while picking the unit up, one of the joints slips it will dry in the new position and then you, apparently, have a weak point in your system. I went with the ALADO because of ease of assembly and a lifetime warranty offered to the original owner. Just more food for thought.
Bob, e29 "Pegasus"

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bringing a Stay issue to the "Fore"

On the related subject of dealing with the existing forestay...
Most riggers that I have met would prefer to replace that stay as part of this RF changeover. (Unless the existing stay is under 4 or 5 years old and passes a close inspection.
As one put it succinctly: "once a furler goes on, it will normally never come off again until the boat is sold or the owner dies!"
:rolleyes:
"Out of sight, out of mind" is a risky mantra to apply to any of your stays.

This does not speak to the original question, but seems appropriate to the side issue to choosing whether or not to lower the forestay as part of the install process, IMHO.

My .02 worth,
Loren in PDX

Matey

Member III
Furler

Do any of you have anything new to share on the Aldo or SpinTech furlers ... good, bad or indifferent ?
I was leaning toward adding a Harken this summer, when a friend gave me some info on SpinTech. ThenI ran across this older thread.

Regards, Greg