• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How to pass Hoses, cables thru the innards of my Ericson

rotorhead

Member II
I just discovered that my bilge pump is not working, so I installed a backup while the repair kit of the old one arrives. I think of leraving the temporary pump as a backup, but passing an additional hose thru the innards of the boat seems challenging. Any suggestions who to do this..??? perhaps passing a piece of line thru the old one..????

Thxs
Ismael:rolleyes:

wanderer

Member II
a piece of wire should help fish stuff around underneath the sole depending on which model boat you have.

works well with my 27

wurzner

Member III
Your S#$%@ due to the TFG

Please prove me wrong, but I'm going nuts just trying to run some small gauge wires. In the end, I ended up running them through the 4" exhaust line that takes the fumes from my engine(under my galley) out towards the back. The TFG is a royal pain since I'm not sure they allowed any excess for running additional hoses. The zippers on the head liner are so degraded, I didn't dare run the wires up there so if the CAT5 wire is tuff, I think you've got your work cut out for you. Please do respond back with an update and I wish you better luck than I've had. Any tricks you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

regards
shaun

rotorhead

Member II
Hey Shaun,
You are absolutely right, as the TFG effectively compartmentalizes the entire hull of the boat, including the bilge, so you have to cut holes in each section to pass whatever you want to pass. I'll check on my boat this weekend, and will let you know..
Best regards...
Ismael
S/v Erica of Falmouth
E380 hull 24

chaco

Member III
Go to HD and get an electrical fish tape for wire and hose FISHING.
Fish a small line (1/8" nylon) through to where you want to go and use it to pull the wire or hose through. Coat hanger wire works good for short distances.
Happy FISHING

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
On my E38 the bilge pump discharge lines from the shower sump and the bilge as well as the two plastic water lines that feed the head plumbing lead out of the bilge keel area towards the port side going aft through two glassed in tubes in the TAFG under the nav station.

They all then emerge aft of the nav station and turn starboard under the batteries to pass though another two glassed tubes that again pass through the TAFG under the forward engine mount to emerge under the galley sink.

The water lines split off at this point and the bilge/shower discharge hoses angle up and through the starboard side of the engine compartment where they reach their high point in the boat.

There is a siphon break in the shower hose but not the bilge. In the engine compartment the hoses then lead aft just under the cockpit floor until they are past the cockpit hatch engine access door where they lead downward to the transom. They terminate in a "T" fitting that is attached to a 3/4" thru-hull above water.

I have been trying to work out a better setup but the pass-thru's in the TAFG will barely allow a larger hose like 1 1/8" bilge hose for a larger bilge pump. The same TAFG in the keel area limits how big a submersible pump can be fitted in there. I have no room anywhere else to mount a Jabsco/PAR style diaphram bilge pump that I would like. Of all the pluses of these boats this is a big minus IMHO. I have just left the Rule 500 with its 3/4" hose and shared outlet in place for now as I try to figure out what I want to do. I don't really want to cut holes in the TAFG. My bilge tends to have about 1/2" of water in it from rain, etc. that the Rule won't pump out. I end up using a manual bilge pump and a bucket to remove almost all the water about twice a week. Not a big deal but I would like the insurance of a large bilge pump for sure. RT

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
I have struggled with access under the cabin sole and through the TAFG as well. With wiring I have usually been able to get the wires routed, sometimes using a fish tape, other times using existing wiring as a messager line.

But a few years ago I wanted to add a washdown pump. (You can read about the project if you click on Owners & Projects, then Owners Projects, E38 Washdown pump installation.) I mounted the pump under the galley, using the sea water pump through hull as the water source, and then had to run hoses forward to the anchor locker, and aft to the cockpit. This might have been a snap without the cabin furniture in place. But as it was the project was a royal PITA.

I ended up routing the hoses above the floor and TAFG just to make things easier. I was able to go around the stove, into the aft cabin, under the bunk to get aft. And I went forward under the port side and through bulkhead to get to the anchor locker.

So I guess my point would be that you probably can do what you need without routing the hoses through the TAFG - it just takes some time and work to figure out a way to route the hose. This would also allow you to mount the larger bilge pump wherever you want, not down in the bilge.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I am not sure where your engine is located but in my 89' E-38 I have the electric bilge pump mounted under the galley sink, some versions have the engine fwd. The pump is bolted to the side of the cabinet with some rubber feet to dampen the noise when it runs, which doesn't quiet it down much. The intake is a 3/4" diameter reinforced hose that runs to a strainer as well as a strainer box at the actual intake. The output runs from the pump under the floor to the engine compartment then up and aft along the inside of the cockpit locker to the transom discharge. The shower pump is mounted in the engine compartment along the starboard side. There is an inline strainer and a strainer box in the sump. The discharge runs parallel to the bilge discharge and out through its own output. Additionally I have a manual Whale bilge pump with 1 1/4" reinforced hose mounted in the cockpit along the starboard side. The intake has a strainer at the end and runs parallel to the shower and electrical bilgepump discharge. The section of hose for the electric and manual bilge pumps that runs under the floor is pretty snug and I don't think replacing them will be very easy. The intake line for my engine raw water runs here as well. I plan to replace all of these hoses next winter when I get into redoing the teak and holly floor.