• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Advice on best heavy wind racing headsail E34

sailingdeacon

Member III
I race my 1987 E34 but do not have a proper headsail for 18to upper 20's. The sail must be furling. I first leaned toward a blade but am told the design of 1980's boats with large fore triangles did much better with a traditional overlaping headsail (plus I was encouraged to get leach battens) Then I leaned to a traditional tri radial overlapping headsail. I read more about the battens in the leach - even for this sail - which appeared to me would force a under 100% sail because of the banging of the battens on the forward lowers or mast - which would force me to under 100% and a very carefull measurement to decide if the leads are outside or inside the forward shroud. I am concerned that with under 100% when I race in 18-22 or so - I would under canvassed. So I then lean toward a 100 to 110% without battens and go for a little overlapp which I feel the boat was designed for. I feel I do not need over about 105% because the E34 is so easily driven and a little tender anyway - plus it would allow for even up to 30 windspeed. Our conditions in NC are winds often 18-25 and only very unusual racing at 25+ but that can happpen also. Sooooooo your expertise please.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Blades

Deacon, in addition the the reply I sent via email (feel free to post it or part of it), it is pretty dicey to do your own measuring for a sail like this-the forward lowers and track location DO cause issues, and if it does not fit right, and you use a tri-radial construction (highly suggested), you could have problems with the sail being off-threadline if you have to recut it to fit.

A main or 150 is easy enough to do your own measurements, but even sailmakers make mistakes on blade type sails-and I would rather have it be THEIR mistake, not mine..

And a 100% blade with furling battens is PLENTY of sail for 18-25 true!!

Good luck!

S

sailingdeacon

Member III
Here is more from Seth via an email

It is so great to have a knowledgeable sailmaker and one who knows our Ericsons! Here is Seth's further comments.

For racing upwind in anything between 18-25 you NEED a blade of roughly 100%-the exact LP (size) depends on if you are using the standard track or adding inboard forward track, but either way-close to 100%. Battens are a good idea-they are not allowed under the racing rules on overlapping sails-and there are battens made for furling headsails. Even if you have full crew on the rail, by the time you have 18 true on that boat, you do not need any more than this sail, and it is MUCH faster than, say, a shorter hoist/bigger overlapping sail.

Whoever said these boats do better with the bigger sails? In light air it is of course true, but not for that much breeze. NO chance of being underpowered in 18 true with a 100%-maybe on the edge if you have a full crew on the rail, but by the time you have 20, it is plenty! The only time these boats are "intended" for overlapping sails is in light-medium air. It is a function of power, and big sails have too much of it by the time you are close to 18 true.

Tri radial would be the best way to build this sail-or even better, one of the string sails (3DL, D4, etc.). But if budget does not allow, you can go crosscut-but in any case, use a composite as dacron will not hold up for long if you sail in 18+ frequently..

My question now is do I need leach battens? Or would they just cause me more headackes like slapping the shrouds. And I definitely will have a sailmaker on site to mearsure... He says it likely will require threading the sheet just inside the foward lowers. Many newer boats do not have the forward lowers or have swept back spreaders.