• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

re-drill/position spreader E-25??

briangsmith

Member II
It's finally springtime in Alaska and I'm getting 'Sparkle Plenty' ready for the water. Trailering to her winter storage last fall she sustained a slight dent, or 'ding', on one side of the mast where the spreader mounts with two bolts- It's actually at the bolt hole where continuous pressure was applied during the trip... about the size of a dime and sunk in maybe a quarter inch..

As this is now a possible point of weakness, I'm wondering about re-drilling these holes up, or down, several inches on the mast? A half foot maybe?? Which would be better, slightly higher, or slightly lower.. and how might this adversely affect performance/safety??

Thanks all~

Brian Smith
Homer, AK

Emerald

I would not relocate the spreader hieght. I believe you risk seriously messing up the geometry of your rig, and risk causing failure - these things were designed for certain angles at certain places - moving a spreader up or down is going to change the support and location of stresses on the mast. This is not something I would do without someone who really knew their stuff about rigging and design doing the proper calculations to see what happens when you changed the mast rigging geometry.

That said, dimples at the spreader mounts are a common problem on E-27s, and can be fixed with a collar. I did this on my prior E-27. Here's a detailed webpage I put together about the whole thing:

http://home.comcast.net/~ericson-yachts/dimple/dimple_repair.html

Hope this helps.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Art Mullinax

Member III
Pop it out?

Can you use a long-small pin punch and go through the other side of the mast and tap it out? There should be a matching hole on the opposite side of the mast for the other spreader? What about a hammer style dent puller?

briangsmith

Member II
options!

thanks all- i very much appreciate the options-
easy fix would be the punch out option i guess... i'll take a closer
look and see if that seems feasible- or i could hire out the manufacture
of a 'sleeve' i guess- again, it is only a very small ding, right at the bolt
hole.. will try and take a picture and post~

bgs

maggie-k

Member II
If you punch it out rebuild it with a proper compression post and a threw bolt. This is common practice for most rigging shops. If you need directions in making one let me know
Eric

Last edited: