• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Honda Outboards

Guys,
I am about to buy a Honda 9.9, extra long shaft, electric start, with Power Thrust, and hang it on the back of my E-27 OB. I have had a Tohatsu 18 on there for a number of years, but the engine drives me nuts with all the noise it makes. I had thought that a Honda 15, extra long shaft, might be the answer, but it appears that it weighs 136 pounds in the configuration I want, and that struck me as just too much weight that far aft. So I am opting for less hp and less weight, not to mention less $. If you have some input on this particular conundrum, I'd love to have it. I race my boat some of the time, so weight and where it's located is on my mind. Thanks in advance.
Morgan Stinemetz

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Morgan,
I do not have current Honda experience, used to have one.
I used an extra-long shaft Hi-Thrust Yamaha 10 on my former Niagara 26. That motor weighed 105#, with pull start. It replaced a sputtering Honda 10 long shaft that had corrosion problems and generally was tired out. No more cavitation in waves with the longer leg. This was a transom mount, not on a bracket.
Thrifty (half gallon per hour at 6 kts) and very very quiet. Oh, did I say it was very quiet?
:)

Our YC now has two of the newer big brothers from Yamaha, 25 hp Hi Thrust models on our two work boats -- we routinely move a 5 ton dredge with one boat. Those geared-down Yamahas seem to be unique in the industry. Top speed is only about 8 or 9 kts, but with bags of torque.

We have found that we had to train our boat operators to look at the engine and see if the cooling water is peeing out, before deciding that they should "try the key again" to start these em'... there was a problem with some operators trying to start an already-idling engine.
Yup, these big ones are quiet, too.
:rolleyes:

My .02,

Loren

Last edited:

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
my friends and I bought 3 new (current model) Honda 15s and have all experienced carburetion (sp?) problems that have been extremely inconvenient. Make sure there are no recalls to be aware of.
ps. I am a huge fan of honda power products Especially the 2001 CBR1100XX I just sold:boohoo:

Last edited:

bigtyme805

Member III
Morgan I wanted to add something to my post. I bought my 2005 Honda 9.9 25in shaft power thrust in Jan 2005 and it has been great. I can't say enough about how well it works. Of course we have the same boat including the cut-out on the transom.

I ventured down to Mexico and she had no issues whatsoever. Even charged my batteries with the alternator. Also, very quiet which will be a nice change from that toshiba you have.

Hope all is well with you, any trips upcoming to Cuba? Enjoyed that article you wrote on Cuba. I am getting ready to purchase your new book.

By the way, the 9.9 fits nicely in the well.

rssailor

Outboard

Morgan,
I have to agree with Loren, the Yamaha is a great motor and is quiet. Just so ya know the honda uses a small four bladed prop that works pretty well going forward, but is not that great in reverse. The Yamaha uses a large three bladed prop that has a spacer and is set up to jet the exhaust out the back of the hub in reverse. This makes the Yamaha superior to the Honda in stoping your boat and manuvering in reverse. Just so ya know, I own both a Honda 15 and a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust. Ryan