• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Knotmeter Paddle Wheel Replacement

Gary Freeburg

Member II
The knotmeter paddle wheel on my E27 is located on the portside of the bow. The little wheel is shot (missing its paddles) and needs to be replaced. The thru hull is a white plastic that is translucent (gives me extra light when I'm combing through the bow locker under the V berth) and I'm not sure if I should replace the whole thing or pull the thru hull, glass over the hole and use my GPS for speed? The current setup doesn't leak but sure looks like it may want to. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Gary Freeburg
SV Katmai
'73 E 27

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I'm a big fan of redundancy for navigational issues, so I like to have a knot-log that doesn't depend on the GPS, but you could certainly make do without it. But then you'd have a dummy display on deck, and that sort of thing bothers me. You could fill that in too, but then you'd have to try to match the gelcoat. Besides, it'll save you a few hours to just replace it instead of glassing it in. Do yourself a favor and get one you can't see through though! :D

Nate

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Why not put in a new KM unit? (Unless the old model is still in production and you just need a replacement transducer.)
Note that the GPS is only good for speed readings when you are moving, and slower you move the less useful it gets for that purpose.
Sometimes it is also nice to know the current speed when you are anchored. Secondly, the new units, like the Raymarine ST60 on our boat, can interface with the wind instrument to give true as well as apparent wind.
Loren

Emerald

I think I'll second Loren's thoughts on a new unit or transducer. I really like knowing my speed through the water as well as over ground. I think it is helpful to be able to get a real feel for the current and other effects by comparing the two. Even the ST40 line will interface for true and apparent readings.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald