• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Roller furling question?

Art Mullinax

Member III
I have a 71/E29 and I'm looking at installing a roller furling system. The system I'm favoring lists a maximum headstay diameter of 9/32". My headstay has a diameter of 7/32". Would this 1/16" difference be a problem?
Art M.
71/E29

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
If it's listed as "max diameter 9/32"", I'd expect you're fine with anything smaller than 9/32". That's the way I'd read it, but you could call the manufacturer if you are unsure.

rssailor

Furler question

Looking at Harken's web site, shows that a Unit 0 would be no problem for your boat. 7/32" is the listed max headstay size for this unit. What unit are you looking at. I have a Harken Unit 00AL on Moonglow my Ericson 25+ and it works well. Ryan

Art Mullinax

Member III
Profurl Basic

For my E29 I'm looking at the profurl Basic system "B 29 L". My forestay length is approx 36'. I really like the open drum setup and the basic system has many of the Profurl Classic systems advantages. The biggest difference I can see is the headfoil. It only has 1 groove instead of 2. I don't ever seeing me try to change a headsail while the other is still flying.
Art M.
71/E29

Seth

Sustaining Partner
7 vs 9/32

Art,

I am recovering from minor surgery and am not looking at any other websites, but if you have 7/32 hs and the unit is rated for 9/32, you should be FINE...

Although, I could be missing something-it happened once before!

Cheers,
S

rssailor

Furling

Sounds like you have a good unit all picked out. The smaller wire size is not a problem and you should be good. Remember you will be using a new headstay when installing the furler. Think about using the schafer stanchion lead blocks to send the line back to your cockpit as they slide over a one inch stanchion and keep the line out of the way. Ryan

Art Mullinax

Member III
New headstay?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Ryan,
I thought the system would use my existing headstay? In your reply above you mentioned a new headstay???
Art M.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Depends on the arrangement of your current headstay. It has to be compatible with the furler, and allow the drum to sit low enough to the deck without all the toggles, turnbuckles, clevis pins, etc getting in the way.

rssailor

Headstay

Art,
All new furler installations should have a new headstay at the same time as the installation of the furler. This is due to several things, difficulty of dissasembly of furlers, potential age of existing headstay(may be nearing the end of its life), and that cutting the existing stay to put the furler together is problematic and will leave the headstay to short. Just looked at the profurl site, and the basic construction of the unit is similar to most other manufacturers units. Most riggers also will not install a new furler unless you get a new headstay at the same time as well. Ryan