• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-38 Main sail

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Unfortunately, no photo, but you are right, it is a two line system. You have to run the tack line through a small shackle at the goose neck to keep the tack next to the mast. Also, I ran out of deck organizer space, and since Schaeffer does not make a six pulley organizer (at least in stainless) I stacked a two pulley organizer on top of the a three pulley organizer. The tack reefing line is on the starboard side and the clew line on the port side so that the genoa halyard winch can be used to tension that line. Finally, I run a sail tie through the clew cringle around the boom to take some of the load off the reefing tracks on the boom and to get the clew closer to the boom. Alternatively, you could run the reefing line under the boom.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Single line reefing?

When I bought my new main I thought I wanted to have single line reefing. But the loft convinced me that on anything above about 27 feet the friction on the single line reefing system gets to be unmanageable, and requires endless winch work to take in a reef. They also said you don't really get very good independent control of the tension on the luff vs the leech with a single line system. So I went with standard slab reefing, which required going to the mast to hook the reef cringle over the boom hook. I meant to put in a remote control line for this, just as Geoff installed on his 32, but never got around to it.

Anybody out there use - and like - single line reefing?

Anybody out there use - and like - single line reefing?

I use it on my E32-3 and don't like it. I am planning on replacing the mess with the simpler rigging of the line going through the boom and led aft, without any blocks inside the boom. I have reefing hooks and cringles (which I actually use) so most of the effort will be to get the stuff out of the inside of the boom and run a new line. I am also installing a Cunningham. I'm using the 8:1 Cascade arrangement shown on the Harken Cunningham Page. For my boat, I'm using the 2:1 Fiddle (IHarken 2655), 4:1 Fiddle (Harken 2658) and 1/4" Sta-Set line led aft; no additional blocks or fairleads, let's see how that works practically.

Anzac

Member II
Your EY.org bio is blank... but...
do you perchance have the Portland area E-34 that Schooner Creek Boatworks did the new hull-to-deck joint project on?
Loren
(just curious...)
Hello from Anzac. I know this might be funny as this thread is years old lol. Pink Panther is for sale now and she looks to be in great shape. Any idea why they did this? Maybe some leakage at one time or ??

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hello from Anzac. I know this might be funny as this thread is years old lol. Pink Panther is for sale now and she looks to be in great shape. Any idea why they did this? Maybe some leakage at one time or ??
Since that whole EY series has the hull and deck glassed together on the inside with roving, I presumed that there was some (minor) damage to the external factory trim/cover piece over the outside. Once in a great while there can be, over time, some seepage of water thru the coarse roving, also. Covering that seam on the outside with new glass and painting it with LPU is a nice cosmetic upgrade (IMHO), albeit at a cost.
No first hand knowledge tho, so asking the owner is the only option now. It's a popular and attractive Ericson model, and I am surprised that it's still on the market.

Last edited:

Anzac

Member II
Thanks Loren for getting back to me. Yes, the rails look seamless and tapered so that explains some things.

Pete the Cat

Member III
I have full battens on the mains of both my Tartan 37 and my Ericson 32-200. I single hand mostly. and would not ever go back to any partial batten (been there done that) and full batten combination. I have a stardard slugs in a slot in both masts and cannot understand anyone needing Battcars or some special track. Works fine in the groove. I have a deep 2nd reef (though Doyle did not put it deep enough) in both sails. Since i single hand, I have lazy jacks on one. and a Dutchman system on the other. Dutchman is a dream to furl alone, but the the Lazy jack system allows me to lose the topping lift under way. I have not decided which I like better. Each has its advantage. I would never to back to chaos mainsail furling as a single hander. Just not worth the hassle. FWIW.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I was experimenting with no lazyjacks, trying to decide whether a standard sail cover, rather than one with slots, was preferred.

I had a nice solo sail, returned to port, headed up into the wind and dropped the mainsail.

It fell right off the boom onto the deck! What? How did that happen?