• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Chesapeake Sailing

Gary Freeburg

Member II
Hello all,
I recently sold my Ericson 30+ "Orion's Car" that I sailed for several years in Alaska. My wife took a job in Virginia, I retired from my Alaska job, and here I am. I just purchased an older E 27 that I will scrub up this winter and sail out of Mayo, MD to a slip somewhere in or around Deltaville, VA. Two questions: 1) is there a good publication ie. Coastal Pilot that gives good information on anchorages/sights between Annapolis and Norfolk? 2) anyone recommend a good marina near Deltaville? I don't need the swimming pools et. al. just a place to tie up and enjoy my neighbors.
Thanks,

Gary Freeburg

SV NJORD
E 27 #299

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Cant help much with the marinas in deltaville area, I was in there once about 15 years ago... As far as anchorages I have found the Gunkholers Guide to the Chesapeake to be very good. It lists descriptions of literally (no pun intended) hundreds of anchorages and marinas all over the Chesapeake and Delaware bays. It is loaded with info and is an excellent cruising guide to the Chesapeake.

Bob in Va

Member III
Deltaville

A few years ago I kept a boat on the hard at Deltaville Yacht Yard and was impressed by their operation. There are more up-scale marinas, but I'd rather put the dollars into the boat. They were kind of laid-back in terms of general stuff, like closing time, etc., but they were all business in terms of getting things done when they said they would and their pricing was reasonable. One aspect I appreciated is that they allowed owners to work on their own boats and were willing to loan some of their gear to help out if necessary and very willing to advise. They didn't seem to be trying to wring out every dollar they could from boat owners, and several times gave advice to me that saved me some money and cost them a little profit. Their # then was (804)-776-7500 and P.O. Box was 246, zip 23043. I heard they changed names, but don't know for sure about that. Be very careful going into Deltaville on the north side at night - the channel is quite narrow and there are so many background lights it is hard to see the channel markers. That mud won't harm your keel, but it makes a nasty mess on the deck and is a bear to wash off after you have kedged off a few times. Don't ask me how I know....

Gary Freeburg

Member II
Ted,
Thanks for the information. Where can I find a copy of the "Gunkholers Guide to the Chesapeake"? I would image the marine stores in Annapolis?
Thanks,
Gary Freeburg