• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Heat exchanger

daynardi

Member II
The heat exchanger on our Universal diesel has broken free from its moorings. Was secured by two clips bolted to the back of the engine block and soldered to the copper shell of the exchanger. The clips have broken free from the heat exchanger.

Has anyone had this fixed? Is this a job for the Universal Engine guys or for a plumber? I don't mind draining the cooling system and unbolting the heat exchanger, but I don't want to attempt to re-solder it myself.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
What part is soldered? Is it possible to modify the mounting arrangement to use straps that encircle the heat exchanger, and the straps are bolted to the engine? I'd think the vibration from the engine would be pretty hard on a brazed/soldered connection.

lbertran

Member III
Is it a Universal 25 MXB?

I have that engine in my E35-3. The boat was repowered in 2003 by the previous owner and the engine has 90 hours on it. One of the two metal brackets holding the heat exchanger on the engine sheered off recently. My mechanic contacted Westerbeke and discovered that these brackets have been found to be vulnerable to breaking off and have been redesigned. The trouble is that the one that broke is the new redesigned bracket.

Westerbeke has recommended that we replace the bracket and try raising our idle speed to reduce engine vibration, which is what causes these brackets to break.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The two stamped steel straps on my '88 M25XP are each bolted down to the flat area on the bell housing top. Then the heat exchanger is held to each strap with large ss hose clamps. Several years ago one of those hose clamps broke and I replaced it. No problem since.
It is normal (for me, anyway) to loosen the clamps and then withdraw the two bolts in order to move the heat exchanger back a bit to access the transmission fill plug.
FYI.
Best,
Loren

wurzner

Member III
Why not attach the Heat Exchanger to a non-engine point

I was thinking that when I pull my engine, I might place the heat exhanger elsewhere oppposed to on the engine/manifold area. This would allow easier access to the engine and eliminate the condition that started this thread. Has anyone else considered this?

shaun

daynardi

Member II
Just to add complication:
Because they are soldered to the copper shell of the heat exchanger, I assume the brackets are copper. (They are painted, so can't see) Copper straps bolted to aluminum bell housing does not sound ideal. Should I worry about this, perhaps try to add some insulation between the dissimilar metals?

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
daynardi said:
Just to add complication:
Because they are soldered to the copper shell of the heat exchanger, I assume the brackets are copper.
Not necessarily. They could be steel or aluminum.