• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacement outboard for E27

Tom Russ

I am the new owner of an E27 #428. She has an older 15 hp Johnson outboard and I am looking into replacing it with a newer 4 stroke. I am looking for something quieter and cleaner. I have visited the local marine stores and I am told a new 4 stroke of about 8 to 109 horsepower would provide about the same power as the older 15 hp. As it has been explained to me the horsepower of the olde models was measured from the drive shaft but new regulations require the horsepower to be measured at the prop. The effect of this is that my 15 hp would probably be rated an 8 or 9 hp under the new method. Now it is possible that I have a stupid new boat owner look on my face but is this for real?
Also I have any number of reconditioned used (2 to 5 yeas old) engines on the market. Any experience with purchasing used engines?
Finally, Iunderstand that the E27 has a hull speed of about 6.5 knots. Is 15 hp (or 10 with the new measurement) an appropriate engine for the boat. Thanks in advance....
Tom

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Indeed the HP rating has changed in recent years to a more honest real-world number.
You will also find that it helps to have an engine geared for a displacement hull. Unless Honda has changed their gearing, I believe that Yamaha is the only one that does this. I had a Hi Thrust Yamaha 10 on my prior 26 footer. It had a 3 to 1 gear ratio and a large 3 blade prop. Massive torque and great ecomony @ 1/2 gallon per hour.
The current Yamaha 8 hp Hi Thrust with the power tilt might be my first choice, or the 10 if budget permits.

Loren in PDX

Art Mullinax

Member III
Scheduled maintenance

Before you spend a lot on one of the new 4 strokers, talk to the salesman about some of the maint. requirements required to keep up the warranty. I looked at a 4 stroke for my fishing boat and the maint. schedule is strict.
Art M.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Also check the weight...

Our Yamaha 4 stroke 4 hp is a great little motor, but Yamaha 4 strokes weigh significantly more than other brands. I don't know how much on/off you do with it or who helps, but check weights.
Chris

bigtyme805

Member III
Honda 9.9hp

I have much experience with this because last year I was in the market for a new outboard. I have the same boat with the open transom. I went with the Honda extra long shaft high thrust model. The cost was $2,200. I can't say enough about how well it has performed. I do a lot of offshore sailing and with an outboard you want something that is going to perform.

The reason I went with the Honda is because I wanted the extra long shaft, due to never coming out of the water and that has worked. I suppose you would be happy with the Yamaha model also.

Good luck in your decision. I have the 9.9 and I am very happy. Also another nice feature is the look of the Honda. By the way I have never had to power the honda full throttle and the reverse is terrific. The dealer tells me the reverse is the best on the market because of the 4 bladed prop on the high thrust model.

Nick Reynolds

Member II
Outboard

I can't find it here, now, but earlier this year I wrote a long commentary on this question. I have a 27 with the outboard. I had the opportunity to sail it on a trip with a borrowed Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke. Then, soon after that I bought the Honda long shaft 4 stroke, 9.9. It is a great engine. But after having used both, I would recommend the Yamaha.

The Yamaha pushes the boat better at lower rpm. My Honda has been difficult to start after sitting for a month. I think they weighed about the same. I didn't buy the Mercury, because it weighs quite a bit more, and the Honda is at about the limit of my ability to carry it and place it on the boat.

Good luck.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Stroke me

You mentioned something cleaner and quieter.....Ya know, the quietest, smoothest, and by far cleanest outboards on the market are Evinrude/Bombardier 2 stroke engines. Light, too.

Being in the engine emissions business, I can say this first hand. One of the BRP engineers recently gave a paper at an environmental conference that blew the lid off the "4 stroke conspiracy" perpetrated by Honda.

Yes, it is true that CARB (California Air Resources Board) has officially "blessed" the 4 stroke technology for environmetal compliance, but since that time the Evinrude guys have proven this to be false.

I think you can find more info on their website, in fact, if you Google Evinrude you will see they won the EPA Clean Air Excellence Award...

Food for thought..I am not sure how many models they have that are suitable for the E-boats-the testing I saw was with the big engines-but they all are designed the same way..

So, if a clean engine with the smoothest power curve (and lots o' torque!) is what you want-check it out.

2.4 cents this morning!

S

Tom Russ

2 cycle alternative

I looked into the Johnson 2-stroke. It is as you say, cleaner and quieter than the 4 stroke but they aren't building anything smaller than a 40 hp in the new technology . A 25 hp may be out in 2006 but nothing smaller according to my dealer. Too bad. Back to the 4 strokes....

rssailor

Yamaha High thrust

Tom,
You can not beat the Yamaha high thrust models. I have a 1987 Yamaha 9.9 25" shaft on my Ericson 25+. It is a great motor and much more powerful in reverse. Also, I own a 1991 Honda 15 20" shaft with the four bladed propellor of the lowest pitch offered. It pushes the boat along just fine, but reverse is not even close the that of the Yamaha. Also the Yamaha on the 9.9 has a 10 Amp output to the battery for charging. Thats my two cents worth. Ryan