• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-27 boom upgrade

Mark Dittrich

I am looking to change my boom to internal outhaul,and reefing lines, and possibly a rigid vang. I have not yet identified the boom section. Can anyone suggest a vendor, for parts, and suggest what boom section might work?

gjersvik

Member II
Mark:

Maybe I'm missing the point, but why don't you use your current boom? When I had my Catalina 22 I converted the boom to an internal outhaul using the daigrams on Harken's website. On my E-25 I added a jiffiy reefing system again using the Harken design, and installed a Garhauer rigid vang which was custom made to the profile of my mast and boom.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Booms

Forespar or Ballenger would be my first choices-good product and very fair prices-especially Ballenger-Both are in California-Forespar is in Santa Ana (or thereabouts) and Ballenger is in Santa Cruz.

Some advice: Do NOT install any tracks or blocks on the side of the boom for reefing-it adds weight, cost, and you will probably end up having the blocks in the wrong spot for a proper reef. The best system is to have the reef lines exit from the back of the boom through sheaves (as you would expect), and simply run the lines from the sheaves straight up to the reef cringle in the leech, then down to the boom-tying the end of the reef line around the boom basically straight below that reef cringle. If you have a loose footed mainsail, this is easy. If you don't, have your sailmaker cut 6-9" slits in the sail right under the reef cringles and just above the boltrope. You can then pass the end of the reef line through the slit and around the boom.

The advantage of this system is that is self adjusting, and you will get the optimum blend of down and aft tension-so your reefed main is nice and flat-as you need it to be.

Apart from the weight and cost problems with those tracks and blocks, it is very hard to get them in exactly the right spot, and you often see the block too far forward, and as a result the reefed sail is too full-....

Just an idea :egrin:

Cheers

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The not-so-grim Reefer

One comment on Seth's nice description of rigging the reef lines on the boom. I did this changeover on our prior 26 footer, with the sailmaker adding the slits to the bottom of the sail.
:)
Our Olson came with track on the Starboard side of the aft part of the boom. We got a new loose-foot main, took off the track and "reefing cars" and plugged the holes with pop rivits. Now rigged as Seth prescribes.
This is much less complex, and as pointed out, lets you get the proper balance between down force and outhaul tension on the reef clew.

Best,
Loren in PDX
Olson 34 Fresh Air

Sven

Seglare
Seth,

Seth said:
The best system is to have the reef lines exit from the back of the boom through sheaves (as you would expect), and simply run the lines from the sheaves straight up to the reef cringle in the leech, then down to the boom-tying the end of the reef line around the boom basically straight below that reef cringle.

Do you have any pictures or diagrams or can you point to some ? Just want to make sure I'm imagining correctly :)

-Sven

Nigel Barron

Notorious Iconoclast
Being as you are in washington, Spartech is not a bad option. I think it is spartech that is on the eastside...