• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Thoughts for Prospective E-30 buyer?

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I've always been impressed with what I've read about Ericson yachts construction and designs, and recently a couple friends and I have come across an E-30 (the original model, not the 30+) and we're going to go take a look at it.

What do you folks think about the E-30 as far as functionality, sailing characteristics, and durability? What are known weak spots to look for when inspecting one of these? What do E-30 owners like or dislike about their boats?

We're looking for a seaworthy coastal and near-offshore cruiser, with stability, but a decent turn of speed (able to make progress upwind offshore). Another very important factor for us is having a boat that's built with quality components, that are serviceable by a couple handy guys, since we do just about all our own boat work.

Thanks for your input.

Nate

Ericson 30

I have been the owner of an Ericson 30-1 since Sunday. Mine is battered and has been abused. In fact she was left to her own devices since Hurricane Ivan last September. Once I get the rudder and steering assembly working the boat can sail....running rigging is fine--hull is watertight. There is a soft spot on the foredeck, but looks like old damage poorly repaired. The engine has been removed, but I plan to get a diesel. My point is....if the boat could go through nearly a year abandoned on a mudbank, she's pretty tough. I have always heard good things about these boats and I am impressed with mine. Look forward to her restoration process and going sailing for many years with her. I highly recommend this model boat. If you would like to see a picture, let me know. Good luck and best wishes.

Last edited: