• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-2 Squeeky bulkhead cabintop connections

Brisdon

Inactive Member
On my E35-2, the two little midship bulkheads that go into the cabintop both squeek in a swell. I think I need to explain better what I'm talking about. One of them sits between the stove and the settee, and the other between the nav station and the "U" shaped dinning area. They go into the fiberglass headliner in a sort of moulded groove. I don't know haw they are installed at the factory, but they sort of squeek back and forth in there slots as the boat rolls in a swell. If I put my finger at the seam where they meet to cabin top when they're squeaking, I can feel the movement (as subtle as it is) between the two components. Does anyone have a cheap and cheerful repair for welding these to the cabintop without making some vastly complicated and invasive repair??? I guess they could just go on squeeking, but it kind of drives me crazy. Anyone else bothered by this. :cool:

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Yes. The same two bulk heads drive me nuts. They are not attached to the deck or the bottom side of the deck. They just sit in those moulded grooves. They are only glassed to the hull. My fix was to do nothing about these two. ( I have replaced most of the others ). Thing is they didn't always make that noise, so I guess after 34 years of hard sailing the old girl is getting a bit bendy. :eek: Oh well. I'm going to Hawaii again any way. Lets see how much she can take :devil:

bradh

Member II
Is she telling me something or just her normal song?

Just wondering.... we get this same creak at the dock (Erie so we get some wave motion at the dock), is it typical of 35-2? Same location.... mid-ship bulkhead. There seems to be a slight relative movement between the bulkhead and molded "head liner" groove as the boat flexs. While I like her tellimg me her story, I do plan to tab the bulkhead in a little better. Thoughts?

She was surveyed about month a go and came back good on the deck (the surveyor noted that one of the bulkheads should be better tab'd when I get a chance) and it feels solid.

Just wondering what is normal?

Brad

Last edited: