• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

stupid!!!

timoteo

Member II
hi folks ....

the previous owner of my sweet 29E did put a very hard kinda sealant on the upperside of the rubrail (just the starb. side)lets say where the rubrail meets the toerail ,i guess he wanted to seal or prevent water from coming on the hull to deckJ(leak??). and i want to get it ,of gonna renew the rubrail anyway, any recommendations, sorry for the bad english
tim :esad:

gjersvik

Member II
You may want to try an electric heat gun to soften the sealant while prying it off with a putty knife. :rolleyes:

Steve Swann

Member III
Anti-Bond 2015

Please tell us the previous owner didn't use 3M 5200 (he might have). There is a special 5200 caulk remover product listed in the new WEST Marine catalog on the bottom of page 453 called Anti-Bond 2015. You might think about trying this as a last resort if other methods fail. I do not know how much of this you might need, but it appears to be on the bit expensive side.

Steve

timoteo

Member II
steve i think its rather something else because the 5200 is more soft , this 1 is kinda hard and transparant(did i write this ok?)
thanx for u guys advice
tim

Steve Swann

Member III
Anti-Bond Might Work Anyway

Hi again,

This Anti-Bond stuff works on other, 'lesser' caulks as well. I was just hoping to give you another idea for your bag of tricks. Let us all know how it goes.

Steve

Ray Hughes

Member I
Rubrail replacement

I was going to replace the chalked/ cracked rubrail on my 1971 E29, but came across a more cost effective solution. A product called "Vinylon", made by a company called "Humboldt Treasures", and sold by Seattle Marine. After sanding, prepping, and taping the rubrail, 2 coats of Vinylon applied with a throwaway brush gives a nonchalking water-beading surface. Works like a charm, costs about $15.00 a quart.

Ray Hughes

Member I
Rubrail repair

Vinylon is marketed as a bouy paint. It does fill in the cracks of old deteriorated rubrails after a few coats. It's water-like in consistancy, and works best when applied at low temperatures, as it dries very quickly and won't take an even brush flow. I detail boats as a living, and like this product a lot. If you use Vinylon (or any topside paint, varnish, etc)., please respect our ocean, and use proper precautions to keep her clean. --Ray.

Nick Reynolds

Member II
Armor All

Ray,

Can I use the Vinylon after I have used Armor All? I am not sure if anything will stick to the armor all.

Thanks for the information, this is something on my boat that really needs attention.