• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-27 Fuel Tank replacement

Annapolis E-27

Member III
The fuel tank in my E-27 has decided to store its diesel in my bilge. It appears that 30 years is the life of the aluminum tank. I have followed the old threads on this and am now looking for the answers to the questions that have been raised. 1) While I have measured every dimension I am not sure if this tank will come out whole or not. Any suggestions? Also, any pictures of what others have done putting in a replacement tempo tank, bulding shelves and attachements, etc... The YSB-8 I have does not drink very much so I don't think I need another 15 gallon tank. Thoughts????

Thanks,

Mark
E-27 Evening Tide
Annapolis

rgoff

Member III
Mark,

I just removed my original tank in my '73 E27 and it came out whole. Mine measured 24"L X 16"W X 10"H (15 gal). Remove the exhaust line from riser to transom first.

Mine was mounted on two plywood supports at the ends of the long dimension. These pushed the tank up as far as possible. I had to cut the support at the end of the tank with the fittings. I could then drop it off the other support and then pull it out the cockpit locker opening (fitting end first). Did have to remove the outlet fitting to make it easier.

On mine there was fiberglass mat attaching the tank ends to the supports that had to be cut. Also a wooden support under the top edge of the tank on the stbd side that was bolted to the horizontal surface behind the engine in the cabin.

I hope your tank shop does a good job of making a replacement. Mine lost my original tank (to be used as a pattern) and then didn't make it to the dimensions I had on a subsequent drawing. Grrrrrrrr. :)

I decided to replace my exhaust system and riser while the tank was out. Should finish that today and then decide how to mount the tank and install it. I'd like to mount it where it is easier to remove.

Good luck,

photofree

Inactive Member
I noticed that you have an Yanmar 8 . I just replaced mine but kept some of the parts if you would like them. New alternator, rebuilt starter with about 15 cranks on it, new fuel pump, water pump, and muffler. you can e-mail if you are interested. photofree@earthlink.net.