• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

74 eric 35 II runing all leads to cockpit

admirals barge

Member III
hi all
i have a 74 35 II with a tabenacle mast. i would like to do some single handed sailing. the deck is stripped clean and being painted. i would like to run all the leads to the cockpit. has anybody rigged there boat for single handed sailing? any and all help and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
greg

Masallah 04

Member II
single handed sailing....

Greg:
I have an E35II as well. I bought it because I think they're one of the
easiest (funnest) boats to single hand out there (for the price and size). I single hand 90% of the time I sail. Look no further than some folks who post on this website who have done extended single handed races (transpac and Chicago/ Mac) .....and won......

Simply.....run your halyards to the cockpit (cabin roof top). My boat has blocks at the base of the mast, from there the lines run through deck organizers, then along the cabin top, through pad eyes, to chocks. I have two good self tailing winches on my cabin roof top. I also run my cunningham, topping lift and boom lift (doubling as a MOB line) to the cabin top.

Secondly, I assume your traveler and mainsheet are just forward of the wheel.....makes it easy to trim the main without having to leave the wheel.
Lastly, I installed two good self tailing winches on the comings on either side of the aft cockpit. These are the winches I use for sheeting the jib/genoa. I only leave the wheel when I'm hoisting or dousing the main (btw, I have lazy jacks, and a roller furling). Best advice for single handing......get a good autopilot!! Can't emphasize this enough. It'll save your tail, and makes life so much easier when you need to go forward.
Good luck and have fun, these boats are a hoot to sail by yourself, safe and fast....
Alan
Masallah

admirals barge

Member III
single handed sailing

hi marsallah

do you have a tabenacle mast ? unfortunately i don't have a furler jib yet, but its in the plans. do you have any pictures of the set up ? what size wenches did you use on the top of the dog house ?? was thinking about wenches and stoppers on each side and running the halyards to the dog house so wouldn't have to leave the cockpit at all. have an autopilot, but plan to upgrade and use the existing one for a backup.

happy sailing
thanks

Hi,
Have been looking for some wenches myself. What kind of wenches do you have? Blonde? Brunette? Redhead? One of each? If you have some two-speed wenches, I can handle that, too. Not interested in pedestal wenches though. They are too expensive.
Morgan Stinemetz

hodo

Member III
Wenches

Are they self-Tailing wenches? Seriously, if you are single handing, self tailing winches are the way to go. :devil: Hodo

Masallah 04

Member II
winches....

Gotta love this group....
"winches"....
on my cabin top I have two self tailing winches (Harkin B32.2 two speed)....these are excellent....always spend the extra bucks and get self tailing winches....my opinion.....
I don't know what a tabernacle mast is, but assume it's just like every other Ericson 35II mast. I have one single speed winch on the mast that I never use, even with crew....
Leading your lines to your cabin top will preclude you from having to go on deck.....except to reef your main. Lots of talk about reefing from the cockpit, but I think it's cleaner, with less problems getting lines fouled, etc., to go up to your mast.
Good luck....have fun
alan
Masallah

admirals barge

Member III
running leads to cockpit

its great having wenches at the winches, but i must admit its very distracting. a tabernacle mast is a mast that pivots at the base so you can take the mast down. if anybody has pics on how they ran the lines from the mast to the top of the dog house i would really appreciate it.

thanks
greg

74 35 II # 325