• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sherwood Raw Water Pump

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I have been doing some reading on the raw water pump (oberdorfer) that is on my Universal M-40 and see that there is a Sherwood replacement with significantly higher volume output. In running engine at WOT I noticed the temp run up to about 200 and thought that a bit too high. Running at cruising speed the temp is actually pretty low 150-160. I would like to be able to run the engine at or near WOT for extended periods in cases of bad weather emergencies etc. The cooling system is clean, heat exchanger has been totally flushed and cleaned out. I have the larger (3") heat exchanger also. The Sherwood pump looks to be about $280 so I am a little hesistant to just buy it and try it. Maybe I'll replace the impeller and cam shoe and see if that helps? Definately cheaper at least. Maybe some of you have tried the other pump and can comment?

mark reed

Member III
Sherwood conversion

Our engine surveyor recommended this upgrade when we purchased the boat. It was installed by the broker about a month after we closed the deal. From the PO's records (and what I briefly experienced) with the Oberdorfer (overheating, losing prime) it was a good call. One thing to watch out for if you do the conversion is that the Sherwood only uses two of the original 4 bolts. It is a good idea to fill the other two holes with a length of threaded stock. Our mechanic didn't at first, and there was a pinhole leak of oil from one of the two unused holes (apparently the hole had been drilled almost through the block). It took me a long time to figure out where the oil was coming from.

Here is a link to more info and pictures of the Sherwood upgrade kit: http://sankaty.homestead.com/Universal_5432_rawwater_pump_cap.html

Last edited: