• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Jib Furling

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Does anyone know if you can use a SnapFurl with a tabernacled mast?

Thanks, Mark

E23 Mk1

rssailor

Snapfurl

Yeah you can use a snap furl for a tabernacled rig. I have a customer in Sacramento who has a snap furl on his Catalina 25 that I fixed for him. The furler works pretty well and if no problem with trailering. Good luck. Ryan

Bob in Va

Member III
SnapFurl application

My mast does not have a tabernacle, just a base plate and hinge, but I don't see how there would be any problem. My SnapFurl has been very satisfactory for the past year and a half, and easily swings out of the way when dropping the mast. You do want to support it at several points if storing or trailering the boat, though. It has seen some 30 plus knot winds and always performed as it should.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks Guys,

I guess the concern with dropping the mast (I have to every time I go out to get under a bridge) is with aluminum foils getting bent. I assumed the SnapFurl was OK because of the plastic foil. Most furlers I see around me in the harbor are CDI’s (plastic foil). It’s good to hear from others with real life experience with the SnapFurl.

Bob, do you reef your headsail much? How far can you reef before you get a noticeable drop in pointing ability? What size headsail did you get? Also, great issue of "23 Tell-Tails", Beautiful boat on page 4!

Thanks, Mark

Last edited:

briangsmith

Member II
single-hand raise and lower mast??

mark, i'm a new guy here- just jumped into a '78
E25- any tips, and/or special tools, you'd recommend
for single-handed raising and lowering of the mast??
(no bridges here, but i do intend to sail single-handed
a fair bit, on and off of a trailer)

thanks~

brian smith
homer, alaska