• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Any USCG Documented E35-IIs Out There?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Johnson

I owned (and loved) an Ericson 35 Mk II from 1974-1978 in San Francisco Bay.

Now, nearly 30 years later, I need to document my maritime experience for a USCG 100 Ton license. To do so, I need to know the TYPICAL documented "Gross Tons" of an E35-II. For you helpful types unfamiliar with documentation who are going to reply with the yacht's displacement, save your fingers, as that's not the right number.

If any of you reading this own or operate a DOCUMENTED E35-II, would you be so kind as to look at the certificate, and reply with BOTH the "Gross Tons", and the "Net Tons" for your yacht? Or, if you are still "in document", reply with your yacht's name, and I can look it up on the USCG's Web Site.

I would have asked Ericson Yachts, but I guess they are long gone...

Thanks,

Steve Johnson

What I am trying to do.

Thanks for the pointer. I am hoping that someone has done the formal process (i.e., actually had their boat measured) and that it squeaks out a little more than the simplified procedure.

Steve

Member III
Perhaps this will help

Not sure if there is enough difference in my 84 model e35-3 and the seventy something e35-2 you’re looking for. Just in case the scan didn’t become readable after compression, it was very light to begin with;

The Gross Tons marked was 15, the Net Tons 13, length of 35.5, breadth of 11.3, depth 7.6

Steve e35-3 #156

Attachments

• USCG5.jpg
    USCG5.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 209

chrism

Inactive Member
Vessel Name: WARBONNET
USCG Doc. No.: 541692
Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL
IMO Number: *
Trade Indicator: Recreational
Call Sign: WYC4355
Hull Material: PLASTIC - MSIS LEGACY
Hull Number: *
Shipyard and Address: *
Year Built: 1972
Hullyard and Address: * SANTA ANA, CA
Length (ft.): 34.7
Hailing Port: SCITUATE MA
Hull Depth (ft.): 8
Owner: RICHARD J MATTHEWS
10 SUMMIT AVE.
SCITUATE, MA 02060
Hull Breadth (ft.): 10
Gross Tonnage: 14
Net Tonnage: 12
Documentation Issuance Date: May 21, 2004
Documentation Expiration Date: June 30, 2005
Previous Vessel Names: No Vessel Name Changes
Previous Vessel Owners: No Vessel Owner Changes

Hope that helps. It's for my familys E-35 II.

Chris

Masallah 04

Member II
USGS registered

My boat is USGS registered, but unfortunately the papers are on the boat. I can get back to you later this week, or you apparently could look it up on the USGS website. The boat is Masallah, out of Newport, Oregon. I just recieved the USGS certificate last week......took nearly 4 months.
Alan

jmoses

Member III
USCG Documented time

Having a Master's and Engineer's license for 14 years now, the USCG is getting pretty tough on sea time and how it was accrued. I have a 4th renewal up for both next year so I'll see.

If I recollect, there is some recency requirements for "sea time" and the Officer in Charge (OIC) used to have some discretion about what constituted sea time such as classes taken in leiu of boat time, owner/operator, etc. But I'm just thinking the OIC may have some heartburn with 30 year old "sea time" and "proof" of it....... But have at it, might catch him/her on a good day.

Also, they will generally only issue a tonnage close to what you are documenting, say mostly 20 tons on inland waters will get you a 25 ton, maybe 50 for inland or maybe coastal, but again, depends on the OIC. Many years ago, the Regional Exam Center (REC) in New Orleans was noted for its rather easy approach to sea time and license process (which is where I tested), but I'm now in San Francisco's REC and they are pretty tough when compared. New York's REC is the toughest from what I hear.

Anyway, have the pee test ready, good physical (make sure the Doc knows the correct tests for color blindness, hearing, etc.), CPR/1st aid card and while you're at it, might as well try for a sailing endorsement (it's an add on to the main testing battery). Also, ask about a Merchant Mariner's Card (MMD) as well. Usually the REC will issue one if you pass the Master's exam, but depends on experience and OIC opinion.

Good luck! And get that high mark on the safety module to move on to the rest of the test.

BTW ...........my 1972 E-35 MkII is rated at a staggering 14 tons and 12 net, which is almost a joke....... 28,000 lbs gross? That's ALOT of extra gear and beer!

John M

Status
Not open for further replies.