• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rub rail

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Does anyone know if there is a difference between the rub rails offered by Wefco, and the ones offered by Pacific Seacraft, other than price?

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Ray Rhode

Member III
Gareth,

The biggest difference other than price is that Wefco delivers. Also PSC wants $50 for a shipping wheel and the added shipped weight adds up. I ordered rub rail for Journey and was told that it was due to arrive at PSC at the end of the week. After six weeks of waiting and several calls I gave up and ordered from Wefco. PSC didn't seen to be interested in finding out why their shipment was delayed and when it might arrive. I did order the end caps from PSC. They were in stock and arrived within ten days. Wefco gave me a "build date" and an approximate delivery date and came within 2-3 days of making it. All this at about half the price.

The rub rail delay cost me as the fiberglass repair guy had offered to install it for me if it arrived from PSC in time. Needless to say it didn't make it before we splashed Journey so now I will have to pay someone or install it myself. Not easy to do with the boat in the water.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

Ray Rhode

Member III
Gareth,

I ordered the rail (section 0422G) and the insert ( section 788.0).

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

jmoses

Member III
E-35 Rub Rail

Gareth,

Go with Wefco.....they know E-35's and will deliver what was ordered, P.S.C just orders from Wefco and adds on their $$$$$$. I think I order 75 Feet ( E-35 MKII) to be safe and now have some spare rail as well.

Also, it takes a good two days to do the rub rail.

Here's my experience.......

1. let the rub rail insert sit out side in sun to warm up for a while. It makes it more flexible. Or get it heated if inside a shed. Flexibility is key.

2. Lots of soap! The rub rail insert is a bugger to get in.

3. A wide flat bladed putty scraper (or similar) to aid in inserting the rubber.

4. Try taping fingers as they will be sore and red after the first day (lot's of pushing). Gloves didn't seem to be applicable as you need those fingers, maybe sailing gloves would work?

5. Can be done in H20 if you have floating dock with finger pier(s). I did both sides in water and worked fine (just have to coil material on deck which a sunny day aids in inserting).

6. End caps.....I had sand blasted and white powder coated....look great 4 years now and cost maybe $20.00?

7. Oh don't get too depressed when movement is measured in inches. Man, it's a long way to the bow from the stern when inserting 2 inches at a time (35' x 12" = 420" x 2 sides = ALOT)

John M.

jmoses

Member III
E-27 rub rail

I'm not sure. I suggest you speak with Wefco Rubber in Los Angles (they have a web site) or maybe some one else on E-list has an answer. I simply cut a small chunk off my rub rail under the end caps and sent it to Wefco many years ago......thay matched it up and it's known as part # 788.0 as mentioned in another post.

John M.

Ray Rhode

Member III
I am pretty sure that the rub rail I mentioned in a earlier post will work on the E-27. It is an exact match to the rub rail used by a friend on his E-27. You can log on to the WEFCO web site and download their catalog. the cross sections are shown in full scale.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189