• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Buying an Ericson 27

Bruce

My wife and I have owned a Compac 19 for 2 years are interested in moving up in size from our a Compac 19 and are looking at a 1978 Tall Rig Ericson 27. I have a few questions concerning this model.

1. What an you tell me about the sailing character of this boat for the Chesapeake Bay and possibly an occassional coastal cruise.

2. The 27 I am looking is in a heated warehouse and the current owner has owned the boat since 1988. The boat is almost like new and that is not an exaggeration. I will have a survey done, however since I will probably not be able to easily put her back in the water for a test sail, what are some things I need to especially look at for problems? What are problem areas on an older Ericson 27 (1978)?

3. The E-27 is powered with a Yanmar 8 hp and has low hours (<300). Is this adequate? We do not plan on extensive motoring, but.

Any other information about the Ericson 27 would be appreciated.

Bruce

Seth

Sustaining Partner
E-27

Sounds like a good one! The engine is a great upgrade for this boat and with the right prop is more than adequate.

The Tall Rig is desireable for the Chesapeake, and with the right equipment on board is a great coastal cruiser!

You will be quite happy!

Seth

Bruce

Thanks for the info

Seth,

I was not sure from your email or not, but I am not upgrading the engine. Also it is the original Yanmar 8 HP engine. It has not been used that much, needless to say, but has been very well maintained yearly. You believe the engine is adequate for the Chesapeake Bay and only (maybe) a venture into coastal cruising, probably in and out of the ICW.

Thanks,
Bruce

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Yanmar

Thanks-what I meant to say was that this was a good engine, but I am 99% sure it is NOT original. To my knowledge (and I worked for the factory), the very first Yanmars installed were in the 80's-after the 27 was discontinued. This is almost certainly a replacement engine from the original Atomic 4 gas engine. 27 owners-I am wrong about this?

Good sailing!

Bruce

Thanks again

That clears up things. Have a pleasant weekend. I might have another question about this boat after tomorrow as my wife and I are going to look it over. For me the second time and my wife the first. Do you have any other general comments that might help. In any case, if I was to pursue it, I will have a certified marine surveyor complete an inspection.

Bruce

bigtyme805

Member III
Hi Bruce:

Q: What can you tell me about the sailing character
of this boat for the Chesapeake Bay and possibly an
occassional coastal cruise.

A: I have owned my E27 1971 for quite some time and
have sailed her to Hawaii from So. Cal. They are
beyond adequate for your area. Sailing character. Not
the fastest boat in the world but the tall rig is a
little faster than mine. They do real well in light
air, as far as speed. They handle the sea very well.
I have been in several storms with seas over 12 feet
breaking. No problems at all. Just a little wet!
High freeboard makes it feel safe.

Q:what are some
> things I need to especially look at for problems?
> What are problem areas on an older Ericson 27

A: The only problem I have had with mine is a little
blistering, but I keep mine in the water year around
and they are easy to fix. Check you rudder assembly,
I reinforced mine for long distance sailing. Did not
want my rudder falling off.

Q:The E-27 is powered with a Yanmar 8 hp and has
> low hours (<300). Is this adequate? We do not plan
> on extensive motoring, but.

A: Sounds like a good little motor. Hours are not a
problem. A lot of the E-27's have Universal A-4. I read Seth''s answer on the Yanmar and is better engine than A-4, probably a replacement.

Summary: You most likely would love the boat. It is
the biggest 27 footer out there. Even compared to
newer models. I love mine and thought several times
of upgrading but enjoy it too much.

Good luck in your decision process.

Dr. Anderson

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Things to look for

Key areas to look at (blistering already noted) might include:

Rudder/Tiller assembly/integrity
Chainplate/bulkhead attachments-look for rot in bulkheads
Mast step
Corrosion in mast and overall condition of standing/running rigging.

great boat, though, and more than sufficient for what you have described.
Enjoy,
S

Fencer21

Member II
Bruce,
I just finished with a haul-out and refit of my 74 E27 (Sep-Dec 04). The hulls are meaty, sound and well built. However, I had extensive blister damage so the repair took a while.

The only hassle I ran into with the entire process was the Atomic 4 that is installed in my boat. It's old, and there is no telling how many hours are logged onto this engine or when an over-haul of any type has been accomplished. As a matter of fact, while returning to the marina today, the water cooling pipe wore a hole, and water spewed everywhere forcing the temperature to shoot upward, throwing steam and smoke all throughout the cabin. We paddled/sailed the rest of the way to my slip. It took an hour; luckily I wasn't too far away. I think you'll be satisfied with the Yanmar.

I wanna guess it's been almost 30 years of neglect.

When we stepped the mast, a 1978 quarter was found in the mast boot and it's surface was completely corroded.

Over all the boat is still very solid, and very capable, this is my first boat, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Congrats, and good luck.
Kassiopeia Hull #517

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Just thought I would throw my two cents!

Just thought I would throw my two cents in because so many other E-27 owners are showing up here. I have a 1973 E-27, hull #355. When I first bought the boat I had the opportunity to give her quite the sea trial because I bought her in San Diego and I live in San Pedro, CA. A distance of 100 miles against wind and current so I mostly cruised under power. I also have a little Yanmar 8 hp 1GM10. This little motor (Now known as "The Little Guy" dubbed by my mechanic) did amazingly well because I ran it for about 17 hours the first day and 8 hours the next. I did have the "Little Guy" gone over by a certified Yanmar mechanic in San Diego before I took off and he replaced the water pump, thermostat and added a primary Racor filter and a new raw water filter, also cleaned the injector. Only at one point did I wish for more power, there was about a 2 knot current and 18 knot head wind when I was rounding Point Loma out of San Diego harbor and I was only making about 1 1/2 to 3 knots of headway. I did as much cruising at night as I could because the wind typically dies down at night.

I have done some fairly extensive restoration to her since I purchased her 2 1/2 years ago. I got her as a repossession and it was a as is purchase agreement with no history on the boat. Therefore I decided to replace the standing rigging, not knowing how old it was. I also replaced a considerable amount of the 12 volt wiring. Haven't touched the 110 wiring and probably should. When I hauled the boat for the first time I was pleased to find that I was virtually blister free! I had noticed a lot of play in the rudder coming up the coast so I had the yard replace the bushing in the rudder post with a plastic sleeve. That took care of most of the play. I then replaced the bolt that holds the tiller cap to the rudder post and now I have very little play.

Other than basic cosmetic repairs like paint and varnish as well as replacing the fresh water system and putting in a new head and holding tank there have been no other major worries until recently. The "Little Guy" crapped out last September. It was no fault of the motors. The exhaust system had been improperly installed when the boat was refitted with the Yanmar some time in the early 80's. Who ever did the install had failed to add a exhaust riser to the water mixing manifold so that it was above the water line. Therefore over about a 20 year span, every time the motor was shut off salt water was flooding the manifold and exhaust valve / cylinder head. This eventually corroded through the manifold, head and exhaust valve stem.

Well I have gotten a little long winded here but to make a long story short check the installation of your exhaust system carefully. Something my Surveyor missed. Hope You See the attached photos.

Skipper of the "Pride of Cucamonga" :egrin:

Attachments

• Yanmar1GM10.jpg
    Yanmar1GM10.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 891