• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Water Pump

Luffin it

Member I
I just noticed that my water pump isn't pumping any water. I shut the engine off asap. My question since it's a new pump housing and shaft ect., what drives the pump? Is the gear it engages a direct drive off the crank? The pulley which runs the alternator doesn't seem to be turning? Could I have sheared a keyway or something? I haven't started taking it apart yet hoping someone out there has some idea's on what I need to do first. Thanks for the help, Tom Miskell :esad:

It's a new Oberdorfer water pump, raw water system which I purchased at the start of the summer from Moyer Marine. The engine is the orginal Atomic Four, 30 hp (1979). I have checked the tension on the belt and it seemed OK. I put a socket on the bolt holding the pulley and tried to turn it but I couldn't get it to move so I didn't push my luck, I'll take my wife down to the boat and have her watch the pulley when I hit the starter and see if it's moving. I'll pull the water pump off and see if the shaft is OK. I'll report back tomorrow. Thanks for the help Shaun, Tom

Last edited:

wurzner

Member III
Water Pump Trouble Shooting

Tom,

I think you need to provide a few more details to help faciliate getting meaningful responses. This includes engine type, water pump type, fresh water pump or raw water, etc. None th less, the pumps and installations are don't vary too much so here goes based on my oberdoffer(sp?). Verify that the belt isn't too loose to engage the pump pulley (can you turn the pump by hand?) If this pump doesn't use a belt and pulley and is attached to a PTO, then I would guess that the pump shaft has broken or the splines are worn or incompatable. All the pumps I have seen Sherwood and Obedoffer are direct so the chance of a worn gear is out of the question. I did have a pump that the cam had worn to the point it had a tough time initiating sufficient vaccuum to draw water. Once it did, it was fine but I replace the complete pump anyway. I keep the old one as a back up with a new cam and impellor for safety purposes.

Add some details to your post and I sure one of the old wise men (likely Loren and meant as a complement) can give yout the information you need to fix her up.

Good luck and happy new year.

Shaun
Everett, Wa
E32

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Priming Your Raw Water Pump - Burping Your Coolant System

If you've got it installed correctly, the problem is probably that it's not primed, and you're not pulling any water through.

If you've got it installed correctly, and the impeller is turning, etc, try this:

Open the housing, and squirt a little dish washing soap inside on the impeller. Close it up, open the access port (the little bolt on the top right) and fill it with water (so the housing is flooded - and now also has the soap in it as well) - then close it up. Ensure that the raw water inlet is open.

Crank over the engine - it should cough once and spit out a nice big wad of foam from your exhaust - but the foam will be enough to act as a priming agent - displacing the air - and then water will start coming through.

Someone at my marina suggested this - works every time - and you get to clean out your exhaust too! :D

Just as a sidebar: Anytime you breech a liquid system on your boat (raw water, fresh coolant, etc) you have to get the air out - otherwise, it won't draw - or will draw very poorly - and the system will fail.

I was racing on an E35-3 once with a woman who had just changed her hoses - but failed to 'burp' the system - it overheated quickly (in the middle of the channel). Once quick squeeze of the lines (hearing the sloshing sound inside) told me that air was present.

To correct it, I pulled the cap off the lower coolant tank - told her to crank it - it burped out the air - very messy - closed it up - topped up the upper reservoir and we were off...​

Please update us, and let us know what happened, ok?

//sse

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Not the prime, I see....

Huh - uhhhh, disregard my post above (although I'll leave it for others searching) - I just re-read your post (I've been doing this since grade school - you would think I would have learned by now) and see that priming is NOT the problem here...

What happened on this - did you pull it apart and check the key?

//sse

Art Mullinax

Member III
Something I would do

Don't take this the wrong way but did you remember to open the water inlet valve after changing the pump??? Some times we overlook the little things looking for the big things. I ran my battery down dead before I thought to open the fuel shutoff valve!