• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38-200 keel bolt torque / tightening without ripping apart interior

DaveC

Can anyone share how they did it? I know there are some threads on here about torque’ing them, but no real mention on how to access the ones that are hard to get a socket/ extension / wrench on to, without unstepping the mast and pulling cabinets... any insight would be greatly appreciated!

u079721

Contributing Partner
Well I wish I had pictures, but it really wasn't hard. I had a 1/2" drive "breaker" bar, the two needed 1/2" drive sockets (1 1/2" and 1 1/8"), a 1/2" drive universal joint, and a three foot length of pipe to fit over the breaker bar to add leverage. I'm pretty sure I used 12 point sockets, as that allowed me to reposition the socket when the clearance was limited. I opened up access panels and maybe removed drawers, but I know I didn't disassemble any cabinetry. BUT, my boat was hauled for the winter, with the mast down, so I would have been able to remove the mast step plate if needed. I really can't remember if that was necessary for the center bolts underneath the mast.

Last edited: