• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast Hardware

coyote1849

Have an E27 1971 model. The mast has plastic pad eyes on it that are all broken. Should these be replaced? Or do they just add drag to the halyard?

Here are the photos of what I'm talking about. I also found a spare in a bin on the boat today. It looks like some kind of plumbing hangar or something. I'm sure it's not original equipment. I'm thinking that maybe they should all be removed. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Alan20191209_132019_HDR.jpgView attachment 28145View attachment 2814520191209_132012_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Taking a Guess...

One guess is that the original owner was using a short extendable Forespar whisker pole, and the plastic pad eye(s) is still there. That gear would be undersized for your model of boat, IMHO, but people do these things sometimes to economize.
Please post up a picture when you are able.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Pictures might help? My boat had some plastic fairleads on the boom that were all split, but I somehow had the impression that they were supposed to be that way. I.e. so you could snap a line into them without threading the whole thing through, maybe. Although I never figured out exactly what they were for - some iteration of a POs reefing system, I guess.

Sometimes it’s hard to figure this stuff out. I confess that some rings on the mast, that at first I thought were halyard fairleads, are actually eyes for the (not in inventory) “reaching strut.”