• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

carbon monoxide

David Grimm

E38-200
As a professional firefighter I respond to many CO calls a year. I found on natural gas stoves people use aluminum drip trays for easy clean up. These cheap little trays on most stoves affect the airflow around the burner causing an incomplete burn.

Also if your flame is orange or orange tips on the flame you should make adjustments untill the flam is blue. Orange flame is an incomplete burn and will create high levels of CO.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Well, I have a replacement CO detector coming in so we'll start with the cheap(er) option.

Me too. Checked on the boat yesterday to find that the CO detector was throwing an "end of life" alarm. Looked on the back and found a 2014 date-stamp, so apparently 5 years is the lifespan.

Random: I wanted to replace it with the same surface-mount model, partly because it seems to have been reliable, mostly because it would use same hole pattern (have I ever mentioned I hate drilling holes in a boat?

The existing one was a Safe-T-Alert "series-65" labeled for RV use. Fisheries didn't carry the model.

Looked at the manufacturer's site (MTI Industries), and found two versions, one labeled for RV use and one labeled for marine use. Same part number.

I called the manufacturer and asked if there was any difference. They said "yes, one is labeled for RV use, the other is labeled for marine use. Aside from that, they're identical."

Turns out, Amazon carries the RV version, so... should be here tomorrow.

$.02
Bruce

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
As a professional firefighter I respond to many CO calls a year.

Adding a quick question, while it's on my mind.... what's the best location for a CO monitor?

IIRC carbon-monoxide is slightly lighter than air. The things I've read on the internet say that a monitor should be mounted at-or-above eye-level.

Mine is currently on the aft bulkhead inside the cabin, roughly at the same level as the galley counter-top. Which would put it at just about the same level as - but roughly 15 feet aft of - the head of a person sleeping in the v-berth, but immediately adjacent to the engine cover and the stove, which are probably the most likely sources of CO.

Too far away? Too low? Or okay where it is?

Bruce

garryh

Member III
high or low does not really make a difference for detection... somewhere in the middle works fine. CO is slightly lighter than air but so close that general diffusion disperses it.
"Carbon monoxide is not heavier than air - in fact it is slightly lighter as CO has the RMM of 28 whereas air is slightly more than this. It is therefore almost neutral density. However in a normal room, thermal convection current dominate transport of gases in a room."

kapnkd

kapnkd
Me too. Checked on the boat yesterday to find that the CO detector was throwing an "end of life" alarm. Looked on the back and found a 2014 date-stamp, so apparently 5 years is the lifespan.

Random: I wanted to replace it with the same surface-mount model, partly because it seems to have been reliable, mostly because it would use same hole pattern (have I ever mentioned I hate drilling holes in a boat?

The existing one was a Safe-T-Alert "series-65" labeled for RV use. Fisheries didn't carry the model.

Looked at the manufacturer's site (MTI Industries), and found two versions, one labeled for RV use and one labeled for marine use. Same part number.

I called the manufacturer and asked if there was any difference. They said "yes, one is labeled for RV use, the other is labeled for marine use. Aside from that, they're identical."

Turns out, Amazon carries the RV version, so... should be here tomorrow.

$.02
Bruce

Sounds like the ONLY difference is the price. ;) ...Seems like the names Marine or Aircraft automatically raise the pricing yet with no real differences other than the packaging. Be interesting to see if perhaps the wiring has actually been tinned for better corrosion protection - but I would have my suspicions.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Adding a quick question, while it's on my mind.... what's the best location for a CO monitor?

IIRC carbon-monoxide is slightly lighter than air. The things I've read on the internet say that a monitor should be mounted at-or-above eye-level.

Mine is currently on the aft bulkhead inside the cabin, roughly at the same level as the galley counter-top. Which would put it at just about the same level as - but roughly 15 feet aft of - the head of a person sleeping in the v-berth, but immediately adjacent to the engine cover and the stove, which are probably the most likely sources of CO.

Too far away? Too low? Or okay where it is?

Bruce

Mine is eye-level with me, a 6' guy, just forward of the head door in the V berth. I guess it makes sense to have it there because it's where I sleep. In practice, the detector seems to read identically anywhere in my boat.

ANOTHER NOTE... I replaced my CO alarm and am still getting CO readings while using my Origo alcohol stove. So, something's not burning nicely in there. Maybe the wadding or whatever it is in the sterno is too old and crappy, not really sure.

David Grimm

E38-200
My new Amazon CO detector was going off in the boat at the dock at the beginning of the season. It was odd because it never went off all winter while on the hard and nobody was in the boat. However my flooded lead acid batteries were at the end of their life and on the shore power charger apparently giving off enough hydrogen to set off the co detector! Yes hydrogen can give a false positive to a co detector. I swapped out the batteries with some new Lithium Iron Phosphates and the dector hasn't made a peep. Just an fyi. Dave