• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Choosing a Place

Which Port or Marina

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Rendezvous Destinations suggested:
Genoa
Pt Sidney
Maple Bay
"Other"

If you have another choice, please enter it in a reply.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One additional suggestion from the previous thread is Victoria. If folks are interested, I can look and see what is available.

We and another Ericson spent a Wednesday nite there, 5 years ago in June. No crowd at all in mid week, but I suspect that summer weekends are extremely crowded. It's hard to imagine them having dock space to promise to 15 or 20 boats in one group. You BC folks can certainly check this out, but I am at this point dubious about them having room.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
My hopes for a rendezvous site are
-- someplace peaceful, scenic, relaxing, where it feels like a getaway
-- a place where we can gather as a community (common dock, pot-luck space)
-- enough stuff to do in the area for those who want to go do stuff

Genoa Bay was awesome - checked all the boxes for me. Loved that we had all the boats pretty close together around a central gathering spot, set in a beautiful tree-lined bay. Would totally be open to going there again, or Maple Bay. Am intrigued by Port Browning or Telegraph Harbor, will probably hit at least one of those on The Annual Grand Cruise (tm, patent pending) next summer whether the rendezvous is there or not.

I'm (personally) on the fence about Port Sidney. It was a great stopping point on the way to the 2018 rendezvous, but (much like Anacortes) it's a big busy marina in the middle of a town, and it didn't have that "getaway feel" for me. Yes, there's value in a fully-staffed marina that's near stuff to do (I didn't know about the Sidney aquarium, but I discovered the bakery and the distillery) but... if I'm going to spend 3-4 days in a place, I want to come away with memories of open water and the sounds of the breeze in the trees, not concrete docks and traffic noises.

Just my opinion...
Bruce

Virginia

Member II
Rendezvous 2020

Date that works on our calendar: July 10 or earlier. Totally booked July 23 through Aug 12.
Location: Genoa Bay/Maple Bay are my top picks for all the same reasons stated by Bruce (Bgary).
-
Virginia (and Marlin)
Ericson 34-2 “Swallow”

My hopes for a rendezvous site are
-- someplace peaceful, scenic, relaxing, where it feels like a getaway
-- a place where we can gather as a community (common dock, pot-luck space)
-- enough stuff to do in the area for those who want to go do stuff

Genoa Bay was awesome - checked all the boxes for me. Loved that we had all the boats pretty close together around a central gathering spot, set in a beautiful tree-lined bay. Would totally be open to going there again, or Maple Bay. Am intrigued by Port Browning or Telegraph Harbor, will probably hit at least one of those on The Annual Grand Cruise (tm, patent pending) next summer whether the rendezvous is there or not.

I'm (personally) on the fence about Port Sidney. It was a great stopping point on the way to the 2018 rendezvous, but (much like Anacortes) it's a big busy marina in the middle of a town, and it didn't have that "getaway feel" for me. Yes, there's value in a fully-staffed marina that's near stuff to do (I didn't know about the Sidney aquarium, but I discovered the bakery and the distillery) but... if I'm going to spend 3-4 days in a place, I want to come away with memories of open water and the sounds of the breeze in the trees, not concrete docks and traffic noises.

Just my opinion...
Bruce

It looks like Genoa has taken the lead. After looking at the website, I can understand why.

Take the time to vote for your location of choice!

It’s a feeling that comes over you when you pull into the harbour. It’s the soulful cry of an eagle that interrupts the gentle hush. It’s the many greens of the forest as they descend to meet the bay. It’s the warm and welcoming smile as you pull up to the dock. Whatever it is — it’s a feeling of deep unwinding..

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I voted for Genoa, Maple and "other" (vote early, vote often!)

The "other" vote comes from an article in this month's Northwest Yachting, which details all the great things to do on/around Pender Island. Bedwell looks nice, and is a port of entry for the US folks, and Port Browning is too, I think.

(I'll add a link to the article when it is online...)

I'd be happy with any (or all!)

Bruce

I voted for Genoa, Maple and "other" (vote early, vote often!)

The "other" vote comes from an article in this month's Northwest Yachting, which details all the great things to do on/around Pender Island. Bedwell looks nice, and is a port of entry for the US folks, and Port Browning is too, I think.

(I'll add a link to the article when it is online...)

I'd be happy with any (or all!)

Bruce

Bedwell is lovely. Last year we held our club rendezvous at Port Browning with around 24 boats attending. It was lovely, but I think port of entry would be Port Browning. I can reach out and see if either is available.

I do agree. I would be happy with any of the locations.

Shannon

2020 PNW Rendezvous location and date

Happy Holidays!

The survey shows...

Genoa Bay on either July 10 or 17th

Any last thoughts or requests before I reach out to the marina to confirm the weekend?

Shannon

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our iCal calendar is open for either date.... just let us know which.
Thanks again for your efforts. (As the saying goes, cats are not easy to herd, and Viking cats are even more difficult...)

:)

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Shannon,
Thanks for your work on this. Our daughter is expecting her second baby in late June in Edmonton. My wife and I will be visiting to help her and her husband and look after their two year old for a couple of weeks. So I don't know if we will be free to attend the rendezvous on either the 10th or 17th, though the 17th would be more likely.
Frank

PNW 2020 Rendezvous

Thanks everyone. I will let you know the details once I confirm with the marina.

We are looking forward to meeting everyone.

Shannon & Doran

Last edited: