• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 35-3

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Thanks Alan. Other than my friends Mainship 34, I've never seen a boat that was particularly easy to work on. Access is probably better than some, but it could be better. If the stuffing box was in good condition without corrosion, the job would be fairly simple. I tried using adjustable stuffing box wrenches borrowed from the yard, but between the corrosion, tight working space, and difficulty of using an adjustable wrench, I wasn't able to get any movement.

I've read about the dangers of penetrating oil on the transmission seal and engine mount, so I tried to be careful with it. I don't think I got it anywhere near them. Hopefully with the correct wrenches and letting the PB blaster do its work, I will be able to get it to turn when I get back to the boat this weekend.

I'm planning on replacing the battery charger in the next few weeks and hauling out in the next few months, so I'll save the drama of repacking the gland in the water for another day. I would like to replace the engine mounts and shaft coupler (both rusted due to the leak), which would require pulling the shaft back and would provide an excellent opportunity to install a dripless shaft seal, but that's all just in idea at this point.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Alan. Other than my friends Mainship 34, I've never seen a boat that was particularly easy to work on. Access is probably better than some, but it could be better. If the stuffing box was in good condition without corrosion, the job would be fairly simple. I tried using adjustable stuffing box wrenches borrowed from the yard, but between the corrosion, tight working space, and difficulty of using an adjustable wrench, I wasn't able to get any movement.

I've read about the dangers of penetrating oil on the transmission seal and engine mount, so I tried to be careful with it. I don't think I got it anywhere near them. Hopefully with the correct wrenches and letting the PB blaster do its work, I will be able to get it to turn when I get back to the boat this weekend.

I'm planning on replacing the battery charger in the next few weeks and hauling out in the next few months, so I'll save the drama of repacking the gland in the water for another day. I would like to replace the engine mounts and shaft coupler (both rusted due to the leak), which would require pulling the shaft back and would provide an excellent opportunity to install a dripless shaft seal, but that's all just in idea at this point.
Sounds like you have the situation well in hand.

Regarding the adjustable wrenches: I find them unacceptable. To me it was worthwhile to invest in one of these: https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/marine-wrenches-for-packing-boxes

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Do you know where that boat was living prior to you - was it ever down at Swan Town in Olympia? I knew a couple who were friendly with us who had a 35-3 that was my motivation to by mine - and that one sure looks a lot like her...

//sse

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Do you know where that boat was living prior to you - was it ever down at Swan Town in Olympia? I knew a couple who were friendly with us who had a 35-3 that was my motivation to by mine - and that one sure looks a lot like her...

//sse
The previous owners purchased the boat in California in 2006, had it trucked up to Oregon, then sailed it up the coast to Port Hadlock. I don't think it's spent any time down in Olympia, but I could be missing a period of time in there.

I can easily see how a similar boat could motivate someone to purchase an Ericson. It's a beautiful boat.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Segue is finally in her new home port!

We had a beautiful sail from port Hadlock with 10 to 15 knots. The wind was from the SE and most of our trip was straight into it, but I was blown away how well this boat goes to weather. We maintained 5.5 to 6 knots, but when I paid attention and kept it in the groove, we were able to get up to 7.5 (all through the water as we were going in to a 1 knot current)

We had a minor issue when we first hoisted the main sail. My wife randomly mentioned something had hit her on her back and bounced off. We noticed the sail was luffing with the clew flapping around. It turned out the cotter pin fell out of the out hull car and the clevis pin is what hit her. We couldn't find the cotter pin or a new one that would fit, but I used a ring from my key chain to get working again.

The best part was the radar, auto pilot, and a few other minor things started working. It's like the boat just needed to be sailed again. I'm still planning on digging in to the systems to see why they weren't working in first place, but seeing it work was a nice bonus.

We're so excited to be the new caretakers of this boat. Let the fun begin!

Thanks again to the ericson community for all the kind words and help during the purchase process. This community was a huge reason why we decided to purchase another ericson.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I don't think it's spent any time down in Olympia, but I could be missing a period of time in there.

Well, don't forget to take some nice pictures of her and post them into the Media section of the site...and Congrats!

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author

//sse
Sean,

The previous owners emailed and gave a little more info on the boat's history. It turns out the boat was in Olympia for a year around 2007.

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Do check the deck in the Dorade area and around the mast deck plate. With 18-or-so holes through the deck with that mast plate and a suspect Dorade construction method (maybe this varies by boat) they have a propensity to leak, especially if left unchecked. That was one of my latest big projects....Dorade Deck Repair 1.jpg
You could literally just peel-apart the bottom layer of glass from the core....pushing on the underside would result in water pouring from the area like squeezing a sponge!

Mast Plate Deck Repair 1.jpg

My theory is they molded the deck, outside-in as per normal, and then when applying the plywood & balsa to the outer layer of the deck the inside of the dorade was left minimally treated. Mine appeared to be sprayed with expanding foam in some of the corners, and had basically bare plywood providing dividers for the dorade. All were completely rotten. I ended up tearing out several more sq-ft forward of this area to get all of the wet core out. Now replaced with foam core and 2 layers of bi-axial on the underside. Now also the firmest area of deck on the entire boat.;)

Fortunately on these boats the headliner is relatively easy to remove and replace. If you're careful about removing the staples and have the mast out, no cutting is necessary. Mine is neatly folded and nestled in my basement for eventual re-installation.

Last edited: