• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast Step replacement E39 flushdeck

RenDe

Member II
So it looks like my mast step has some significant corrosion. I'll try and get some pics. I am assuming this is a pull the mast sort of repair? Can any of you who have replaced your mast step let me know what the process was and what your replacement options were. I thought I remembered someone saying they replaced theirs with a G-10 mast step base. Any info would be greatly appreciated. This might be time to create the removable floorboards that I have seen others install. Gonna start saving ducketts for this one. I'd like to be able to sail her by spring. :mad:

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
I think the mast step person was me. I just purchased an Olson 34 that showed obvious corrosion at the base of the (keel stepped) mast.

When we went to take the mast down, there was so much corrosion that the yard had a hard time getting the mast up and separated from the step. Once the mast was down, what I found was:
1) the aluminum mast step/locator was so badly corroded that it was cracking apart. I was able to purchase a new one from Rig Rite (expensive, $469)
2) the base of the mast itself had surprisingly little corrosion, and cleaned up easily with a wire brush
3) the fiberglass and oak floor stringers that the step is on top of were in great shape. No detectable rot.
4) there were some 3/8# teak pads between the top of the stringers and sitting under the aluminum step that were completely rotten. I considered replacing these with G10, or teak... but it the end decided to use 3/8" HDPE instead because I thought it would be easier to cut and shape. It seemed to work pretty well.

It's kind of an interim solution for me as I'm planning to take the mast down and paint it in a year or so. So I may revisit the G10 later.

gadangit

Member III
There is definitely a G10 mast step set of pictures somewhere buried in a post. It seems like it would be pretty straightforward. I think the expensive part will be the unstep and restep.

Chris

RenDe

Member II

RenDe

Member II
I think the mast step person was me. I just purchased an Olson 34 that showed obvious corrosion at the base of the (keel stepped) mast.

When we went to take the mast down, there was so much corrosion that the yard had a hard time getting the mast up and separated from the step. Once the mast was down, what I found was:
1) the aluminum mast step/locator was so badly corroded that it was cracking apart. I was able to purchase a new one from Rig Rite (expensive, $469)
2) the base of the mast itself had surprisingly little corrosion, and cleaned up easily with a wire brush
3) the fiberglass and oak floor stringers that the step is on top of were in great shape. No detectable rot.
4) there were some 3/8# teak pads between the top of the stringers and sitting under the aluminum step that were completely rotten. I considered replacing these with G10, or teak... but it the end decided to use 3/8" HDPE instead because I thought it would be easier to cut and shape. It seemed to work pretty well.

It's kind of an interim solution for me as I'm planning to take the mast down and paint it in a year or so. So I may revisit the G10 later.

Thanks can you point to or send any pics of your mast base replacement? At this point I am collecting ideas.

Thanks again