• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

O34 Trim Weights

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
So I pulled up the cabin sole in my new-to-me O34 last weekend and found these fairly large lead trim weights. Anyone else have these?

BowWeightsPic 2019.jpg

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I have these on my E-34 on the port side just ahead of the fuel tank. My ingots are completely glassed in. I have heard that the factory did glass in balancing weights when pool testing the new boats. Mine does stand straight up when at the dock.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Mystery Lead Weight

I have opened up the whole "bilge" area of our boat when refinishing the sole pieces. No lead bits.
I have never even heard of them in another Olson.

Yours are right in front of the V berth, and I cannot imagine the bow section being considered too light.

This might make a little sense if they were on the starboard side, since that side is noticeably light in the Olson 34.

For instance, when we installed a custom water tank under the starboard settee and thereby replaced the factory 23 gallon tank with a 38 gallon tank, this levels the boat completely. At least when the tank is full or mostly full.

As far as fore n aft trim, I have never observed a problem that might need any correcting.

What hull number is your Olson?

Last edited:

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
I am hull #11.

Have heard about the list in the O34, but these are right on the centerline so they wouldn't help correct that.

CTOlsen

Member III
Port list

When I bought my boat from the original owner, it had 5 bags of lead shot in the stbd cubby above the Setttee. Each bag contained 25# of lead. I realized what they were for, when I removed them and observed the list. 4 of the bags remain, the 5th was offset with a refrigeration install and new battery charger. We have plans to do as Loren has done, with a larger water tank, but that's still in the future.

If you're racing, you may consider taking the lead out. If you're cruising, I recommend keeping the lead if it is there to offset the classic O-34 list.

CTO

markalan

Member II
My Olson 34 has lead trim weights blocked in behind the starboard water tank against the hull.
Judging by your photo, it would appear that your lead weights are centered above the keel.

I'm in San Pedro, your welcome to come have a look.

Mark
Olson 34, 1990, Hull 35, "Wing Ding"

So I pulled up the cabin sole in my new-to-me O34 last weekend and found these fairly large lead trim weights. Anyone else have these?

View attachment 28053