• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 Spinnaker Pole

David Grimm

E38-200
My friend has a forespar 10-18 spinnaker pole for sale. 2 -2 1/2 inches diameter.

Would this be good for wing on wing with 130% Genoa on a e38? I don't plan on going through the hassle of a spinnaker but it would be nice to have a pole to hold the sail out on downwind adventures.

My boat has a spinnaker attachment point on the mast and a bracket on the deck. Should I buy this or get a line control setup?

Dave.

Attachments

• 90398.jpg
    90398.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I just bought a Forespar LC10-18 whisker pole for my E32 last year. Says it's for boats up to 33ft. I'm thinking too small for an E38.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That does look at bit skinny for the job.

Forespar lists recommendations.

https://www.forespar.com/whisker2011.shtml#E_LIST

I chose this Velocity 12-22 line control pole, "maximum boat length 36 feet" :

https://www.forespar.com/product831.html

It's one size down frm recommended but does the job. Tube width is 3 /3.5.

Carbon fiber is a luxury (light, which singlehanders need), but "line control" is more important, if you can budget for it.

The J of the E38 is 16'. The pole length is often 20' for a 120 genoa, and can be much longer for a larger genoa or for setting forward of the bow.

My opinion is that we definitely need a robust, extendable whisker pole, and spinnaker poles don't work. But for a whisker pole old and beat up aluminum is fine, and the button system is a lot cheaper than line control. I use piston fittings at both ends, not the recommended socket at the mast.

A mast track and movable car is a good idea, but a fixed ring on the mast also works --especially if you usually will be setting the same genoa, where the clew height is always the same no matter what the degree of furling.

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Be careful. The E-34 measurements are not for the 34-2. Use the 35-3 measurements to get the right pole sizes.

Last edited:

David Grimm

E38-200
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Christian, What was the weight difference between the Cadillac carbon fiber and the GMC aluminum pole?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think the CF pole is 12 lbs. and the aluminum about 20.

That's a whisker pole you're showing in the photo, not a spinnaker pole. Spinnaker poles don't extend.

Teranodon

Member III
I badly need a whisker pole for my genoa, but aluminum is too heavy and carbon is too expensive. I plan to adopt a solution that I have seen around my marina: using a fiberglass sailboard mast, with appropriate fittings. I haven't actually done it, so I offer this for what its worth.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Sent you a pm, Dave.

EDIT: the pole has been sold. Thank you for the connection!

Last edited: